Emby constantly crashing

seth2958

seth2958

Hi Emby Support,

My family loves Emby. However a few months ago Emby started crashing often when we use search, browse the library, or open an item. I'm guessing it has something to do with the database, but I don't see many database errors...just an occasional "database locked" message. It seems totally random but it's happening frequently enough now that I have to ask for help. I'm not sure what information is needed to troubleshoot this.

I'm using Emby Version 4.1.1.0 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. I've attached my latest log file. I'll be glad to provide any other additional information.

embyserver.txt

Edited by seth2958

Hi there, we're sorry to hear about this. Did you forget to attach the server log? Thanks.

Can you please try uninstalling the cover art plugin, then restarting the server and seeing if that helps? Thanks.

seth2958

Unfortunately that didn't work. I reinstalled it, then started browsing through my Movie library. I used the "Refresh Metadata" feature back-to-back for a couple of movies. Then when I went to browse to the next page of movies, Emby crashed. I'm attaching the latest logs. Also, I did happen to catch the following error:

2019-07-30 17:39:00.431 Error MediaSourceManager: Error getting media sources
*** Error Report ***
Version: 4.1.1.0
Command line: C:\Users\seth\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -service
Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
64-Bit OS: True
64-Bit Process: True
User Interactive: True
Runtime: file:///C:/Users/seth/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
Processor count: 8
Program data path: C:\Users\seth\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
Application directory: C:\Users\seth\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Busy: database is locked
SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException: Exception of type 'SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException' was thrown.
   at SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteException.CheckOk(sqlite3 db, Int32 rc)
   at SQLitePCL.pretty.SQLiteDatabaseConnection.PrepareStatement(String sql, String& tail)
   at SQLitePCL.pretty.DatabaseConnection.PrepareStatement(IDatabaseConnection This, String sql)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.SelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.TryGetFirst[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Boolean& found)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at Emby.Sqlite.BaseSqliteRepository.CreateConnection(Boolean isReadOnly)
   at Emby.Server.Sync.SyncRepository.GetJobItemReader[T](SyncJobItemQuery query, String baseSelectText, Func`2 itemFactory)
   at Emby.Server.Sync.SyncRepository.GetJobItems(SyncJobItemQuery query)
   at Emby.Server.Sync.SyncManager.GetJobItems(SyncJobItemQuery query)
   at Emby.Server.Sync.SyncedMediaSourceProvider.GetSyncedItems(BaseItem item)
   at Emby.Server.Sync.SyncedMediaSourceProvider.GetMediaSources(BaseItem item, Folder[] collectionFolders, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.GetDynamicMediaSources(BaseItem item, Folder[] collectionFolders, IMediaSourceProvider provider, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
Source: SQLitePCL.pretty
TargetSite: Void CheckOk(SQLitePCL.sqlite3, Int32)

embyserver (2).txt

embyserver-63700107842.txt

These logs show that you still have the cover art plugin installed. Are  you sure you uninstalled it? How did you do that?

seth2958

Yep, I think that might have fixed it. Seems to be working with the speed I was used to and I haven't been able to crash it.

So we don't need to use the Cover Art plugin anymore?

Happy2Play

Yep, I think that might have fixed it. Seems to be working with the speed I was used to and I haven't been able to crash it.

So we don't need to use the Cover Art plugin anymore?

The plugin is a personal choice, if you like or require the features it offers.  But some systems are experiencing issues with specific configurations in the plugin (treatments/overlays).

seth2958

Oh ok that makes sense.

Actually I don't think it's been working for me, and I don't think I even noticed, so I guess that means I don't need it!

Thank you very much for helping me fix the problem!!

If you update to the new 4.2 release you may see less crashing with cover art. I can't promise it will be fully resolved yet, but for some I think it will be better.

Mine is crashing all the time too. I don't have the cover art plugin though. Can someone look at my log file?

Hi there, can you please describe what is happening? Thanks.

Not really sure what is happening. All i know is that when i try and lauch the Emby app from any of my devices (sheild, fire tv, browser, etc) it won't connect. I can't even connect to the server admin page. I can see that the server is running cause the icon is in the lower right corner. I then right click the icon and exit the server. Then re-launch.

And about 4 or 5 hours later it will crash again. 

Ok... so here is another data point. It seems the crashing might be tied to trying to watch channel 600. Not a 100% sure.... but the last couple crashes happen when we tried to tune to channel 600. Does that help?

Alright... things have gotten worse. It crashes now right after i try and tune to a live TV channel (any channel). So i basically can't watch TV right now and, as you can imagine, my wife is not happy. Here is a fresh log file. 

I tried to completely uninstall and re-install emby server and no change. Still crashes right away. Please help.

embyserver-63700289379.txt

Here is another observation. It appears when i start watching live tv the computer memory it uses slowly increases and when it gets close to useing all the computers memory it crashes. The computer has 8Gb. Seems like there is a memory leak.