Automatically Delete Folders That Have No Video Files

manicjonah

manicjonah

Currently I use MB3 Classic in WMC7 but am only in WMC when I want to watch live or recorded TV.  I really don't like bouncing out of MB3 to watch TV because it takes a little while to log back in.  So I added my Recorded TV directory to MB3.  

Honestly, I think WMC does the best job of organizing/presenting TV and would like to see MB3 handle TV just the same.  In the interim I wonder if its possible to have a show folder deleted when there aren't any video files within?  This could be done from MB3 Classic when a show/movie is deleted and it would be great if it could be run as a server-side function as well.  The server-side functionality would include the option to choose which directories should be monitored for these deletions.

Does this functionality exist already?  If not, is it in the works?

Thanks,

MJ

Beardyname

Not to be rude but should you not check if a function exists before you ask :) ?

Also are you asking from a server point or MBC point ? Since this is the server area I'm going to assume you are talking about the server, in which case yes such a function exist.

• 2 weeks later...
manicjonah

I DID check if this function exists but I just didn't see it.  Rather than submit a feature request I thought it better to ask if maybe I was missing something.  I still don't see it so can you tell me where to find this setting so I can start using it?

Thanks,

MJ

The function to delete an item currently exists in both the server and MBC (if the appropriate option is enabled in the user settings).

However, deleting the containing folder of that item can be very tricky and potentially disastrous.  We don't require that all items be in their own folder so we can't just delete the parent folder of whatever item was deleted.  We'd rather err on the safe side here and not delete folders as this functionality is primarily used for TV episodes, which don't have their own folders, we'd rather leave the mass deletions to you manually.

manicjonah

I understand your reasoning and can't say I blame you.  In the event that you'll reconsider this logic would be relatively foolproof:

An "Enable folder deletion" checkbox is added to the Server configuration.  The checkbox is included next to the top level folder (My Videos, Recorded TV, etc.) and each of the subfolders but deleting a top level folder would be explicitly denied. The checkbox next to the top level folder would simply enable folder deletion for all subdirectories.  This way users who organize shows/movies can enable the functionality for all of their current/future shows, or they have the flexibility to enable the functionality on a folder by folder basis and users who drop all of their movies/shows into one directory won't be at risk of deleting the parent directory.

If you don't feel this plan is foolproof enough the "Enable folder deletion" checkbox could simply remove the show/movie folder from the user's view in Media Browser and generate an email or report that requires the user to manually confirm the deletion of files/folders that were removed from view.

I hope you'll reconsider.  Thanks for taking the time to read my idea.

MJ