Media Indicators

gcw07

gcw07

I know the new played indicator is in and working great, but in the past you had spoken about splitting things out so you could do things like percentage played and watched indicators at once. Wasn't sure if that was still the plan or if we are leaving it as is. Either is fine, I just wanted to check in with it. Thanks.

Now, that really does have the potential of exploding the server side image cache.  As every different % will generate a new image as well as combinations of different indicators.

Okay, no biggie for now.  But, with the option in the API that makes it so any client could decide to use it.  So, just something to be aware of if it becomes an issue.

I agree - have it on for Roku.  That is the one client that really needs this feature at this point.

He's pulling them down as jpg though, so posters average around 20-30k apiece after compression. It would take 1000 images just to reach 30mb.

gcw07

Okay, no biggie for now.  But, with the option in the API that makes it so any client could decide to use it.  So, just something to be aware of if it becomes an issue.

It is up to you guys, but I can make the overlay turned off by default and give a warning or something that it will increase the cache size. How often does the server clean up the cached files?

No, turn it on. If it's off by default then all this work was essentially for nothing, given the percentage of people who will use default settings.

Plus this feature is going to create a wow factor, giving you advantage over the competition. I would keep it on. Don't even offer a setting until we discover there's actually a problem.

gcw07

I'm with you that I would prefer to leave it on by default. I just wanted to give you guys the option. I was planning on an option to turn off if someone wanted to. If it was on by default I would guess most wouldn't bother to ever turn it off because of how cool it is. I can remove that option as beyond adding it to the preferences page, I haven't don anything yet.

So even with various % images, it should clean up within a months time. That shouldn't be bad then.