Increase Persistence of Adhoc Music Queue

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

Currently once the end of the music queue is reached, the queued items disappear forever.

Can the queue remain, in case you want to save the queue..or add further items to the queue.

can the current queue be preserved, so when you accidentally press play (overwrite current queue) rather than than 'add to queue', you can 'undo' and get back to your carefully built up queue items....(that you might want to save as a playlist).

ginjaninja

webclient in particular for me please.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Okay.  I think all three TV apps already have this (at least Roku and Android/Fire TV).

so when you accidentally press play (overwrite current queue) rather than than 'add to queue',

But where would it go? Is there precedent for this, or some other app that can be compared with?

ginjaninja

But where would it go? Is there precedent for this, or some other app that can be compared with?

yes, windows media player, has a great ad hoc queue experience.

the queue is visible as a drawer/pane that you pullout and close.

you can drag and drop library content to any position on the queue.

you can alter the position of tracks in the queue via drag and drop.

and most importantly, the last 1 or two queues are saved in the drawer, there are back/forward buttons on the queue drawer to access these.

you can save the queue as a playlist.

this makes 'making a queue whilst playing a queue' a more functional enjoyable experience without the risk of loosing where you got to. It is very easy, especially in Emby to play (overwrite queue) rather than add to queue because 'click on object' does different things depending on the view/object.

so where would it go? stored in memory i presume or flushed to scratch area on disk.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Edited by ginjaninja

The TV apps have a visible queue that you can save as a playlist but it only maintains one.  If you tell the app to overwrite it, it will.  The save as playlist is intended to get you permanence for the queue if you want it.

ginjaninja

The TV apps have a visible queue that you can save as a playlist but it only maintains one.  If you tell the app to overwrite it, it will.  The save as playlist is intended to get you permanence for the queue if you want it.

the playlist doesn't work as a queue though...if you play a playlist..and then add content to the playlist (or move content in the playlist) it does not affect the queue. maybe if the playlist/queue refreshed itself as changes were made to the playlist then the functionality would be there?

the playlist doesn't work as a queue though...if you play a playlist..and then add content to the playlist (or move content in the playlist) it does not affect the queue. maybe if the playlist/queue refreshed itself as changes were made to the playlist then the functionality would be there?

A playlist and your current audio queue are two different things.  You could add any number of items to the playback queue from any number of sources.  If you want to modify the playlist you started from with the content in the current queue, then you would just re-save the queue as that playlist.

ginjaninja

hmmm...was trying to agree with your thoughts around using playlists to meet the spirit of the request......

.my point is as you playfully build up a queue while adding and playing content...that queue is very precarious....unless between each change you save as playlist..which is more 'laborious' than  'fun and playful'.

if i cant  remember to do  'add to queue' rather than 'play' on ever occasion, i am not going to remember 'save playlist'...after each queue change.

this issue would some be alleviated if the 'queue' was permanently visible in a side drawer, whilst you browsed, with a save button...but still not really what the request is asking for....

namely ..the step on the road to making queue building more functional.

Why would you need to save it after each change?  You could just save it at the end - when you are happy with it and know you will want to use it again.

In the TV apps, if you hit "Play" on an item and there are already items in your queue, it prompts you with a dialog with options for "Add to current queue" or "Replace current queue".  So it is pretty hard to accidentally erase what is there.

ginjaninja

Why would you need to save it after each change?  You could just save it at the end - when you are happy with it and know you will want to use it again.

In the TV apps, if you hit "Play" on an item and there are already items in your queue, it prompts you with a dialog with options for "Add to current queue" or "Replace current queue".  So it is pretty hard to accidentally erase what is there.

Yeah I agree that a useful prompt..with that prompt you wouldnt need to save each time... maybe it can be added to the webclient?