EMBY Server 4.2.0.40 Not Correctly Adding TV Show Folders to Library

WalBob

WalBob

EMBY Server auto applied the 4.2.0.40 update and did a library scan. It then incorrectly identified TV Shows in 'SOME' sub folders.

I use folder views and have structured TV shows as follows:

Root Folder (TV Series)

-----------------------------------> Category Folder (such as Action, Drama, Crime, Reality , Documentary, War etc)

-----------------------------------------------------------> TV Show Folder (Such as Game of Thrones)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Season Folder 1,2,3 etc

PROBLEM: Some of the category folders are identified as a TV Show with all the TV Shows within the Category Folder showing as seasons.

PROBLEM EXTENT: This only effects some Category Folders under the TV Shows Root folder, ie, Action is fine, Crime, Sci Fi, Drama and War have the issue. If you look at the attached files, Crime Category actually reports as a TV Show called 'The Crime'. 

This problem DOES NOT effect other Root and Category folders such as Movies. Music, Pictures.

The problem only occurred after the 4.2.0.40 update.

ACTIONS TAKEN: I have removed the TV Folders from the Media Library. Re-scanned library without the TV folders. Re-Started EMBY Server and re-added the TV Series root folder. Same problem occurred in exactly the same way with the same category folders. TV Series was selected as the media content type. I am not re-scanning meta data (this is disabled as I manage this using MCM). I have 'Automatically merge series spread across multiple folders disabled'.

I Removed TV Shows from Library and Added three Category Folders directly to the Library. Two of which had the issues. When adding them in this way they showed not problem, but this is not how I want to manage my TV Shows, and I haven't had to do this previously.

BACKGROUND: I have attached server logs prior to and during the adding of the TV Series Root folder. I have attached images showing the issue during testing. I use Structured Folders and Folder Views as I find this the easiest way for me to navigate content. I am also still experiencing the EMBY Theater Overly not displaying problem and am running EMBY Theater 3.0.6

post-289718-0-11184900-1564268470_thumb.jpg

post-289718-0-27229800-1564268479_thumb.jpg

post-289718-0-90424200-1564268487_thumb.jpg

post-289718-0-44983600-1564268497_thumb.jpg

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63699903001.txt

embyserver-63699902982.txt

Hi there, can you please go over some example folder structures? Nested structures like these are always going to be tricky. Thanks.

WalBob

Hi there, can you please go over some example folder structures? Nested structures like these are always going to be tricky. Thanks.

Thought I had explained the structure previously......

Root Folder (TV Series)

-----------------------------------> Category Folder (such as Action, Drama, Crime, Reality , Documentary, War etc)

-----------------------------------------------------------> TV Show Folder (Such as Game of Thrones)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Season Folder 1,2,3 etc

In any case I have attached images the show the nested structure and also the Library Setup in EMBY. 

I did not have this issue before the last update.

The problem is only with 'some' of the Category folders, CRIME being a classic example of one having the issue and ACTION not having the issue.

post-289718-0-81030500-1564272878_thumb.jpg

post-289718-0-17541200-1564272884_thumb.jpg

post-289718-0-45123600-1564272891_thumb.jpg

post-289718-0-73546000-1564272898_thumb.jpg

post-289718-0-15669600-1564272907_thumb.jpg

post-289718-0-20393200-1564272918_thumb.jpg

post-289718-0-53399200-1564272928_thumb.jpg

Does the crime folder happen to have any loose video files directly underneath it?

WalBob

Does the crime folder happen to have any loose video files directly underneath it?

No. I checked all the problem folders against the working Category folders. Under Crime (and all the other Category Folders) I only have one file, being 'folder.png'. Image attached shows Crime folder contents. Again, this structure has been working fine until the latest update and for several years. Also, as previously noted, If I just add the 'Crime' folder as a root folder to the library, the sub folders all then show correctly as I did with three folders as a test ..  see the attached image again for this test.

post-289718-0-88251000-1564278215_thumb.jpg

post-289718-0-33502100-1564278341_thumb.jpg

WalBob

Further to my last response,...   I re-scanned my TV Shows folder with the folder option "Metadata Savers" Nfo checkbox enabled. This time all the Problem Category Folders had a tvshow.nfo file created during the library scan as per the attached image. I have also attached the Nfo file from the Crime folder. The series referenced in the Nfo does not exist in my collection.

post-289718-0-49316000-1564284261_thumb.jpg

tvshow.nfo

Ok so what's probably happening is that one of the folders under the crime folder has numbers in the folder name that cause it to be misdetected as a season folder.

The only way to know which ones are responsible would be to temporarily move everything out of the crime folder, then run a full library scan to flush out the database.

Then start adding some back a few at a time, run a scan, see what the results are. Then repeat.

WalBob

Ok so what's probably happening is that one of the folders under the crime folder has numbers in the folder name that cause it to be misdetected as a season folder.

The only way to know which ones are responsible would be to temporarily move everything out of the crime folder, then run a full library scan to flush out the database.

Then start adding some back a few at a time, run a scan, see what the results are. Then repeat.

Your hypothesis is correct. With the exception of '100 Days to Victory', the problem looks to be numbers are the end of the folder name after a space.

The folder Names causing the problem are:

Prime Suspect 1973

Holocaust 1978
   Roots 2016
   The 100
   100 Days to Victory
   The Vietnam War 2017

Examples of folders with numbers in the name that ARE NOT causing the problem are:

3% (2016)
   12 Monkeys
   Altered Carbon (2018)
   Stargate SG-1
   13 Commandments

Your hypothesis is correct. With the exception of '100 Days to Victory', the problem looks to be numbers are the end of the folder name after a space.

The folder Names causing the problem are:

Prime Suspect 1973

Holocaust 1978
   Roots 2016
   The 100
   100 Days to Victory
   The Vietnam War 2017

Examples of folders with numbers in the name that ARE NOT causing the problem are:

3% (2016)
   12 Monkeys
   Altered Carbon (2018)
   Stargate SG-1
   13 Commandments

Yes, the second ones follow our conventions for dated items.  So, if you just put those others into parens, they should be fine.

Thanks.

GrimReaper

Howdy all,

for years my Media library has been kept in Drive:\Parent Folder\Letter\Media folder structure (i.e. D:\TV Shows\A\Alcatraz, D:\TV Shows\A\Alienist etc.).

Until now, had no issues at all, at present my Emby Android server 4.0.1.0 on Shield still runs with same structure and recognizes any new show, populates nfos and media images respectively. In the past, Emby Win server 3.x.x did same.

However, upon installing latest stable 4.2.0.40 release, I have situation as per attached screenshot, namely with parent folder lettered D and all the shows underneath.

Note that all other shows under corresponding lettered folder have been identified correctly.

Since I see no command to split that "Initial D" TV Show (whichever show that is) and its contents, some assistance is needed and would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Grim

post-314621-0-04834900-1564428418_thumb.jpg

GrimReaper

Thanks for quick reply, Luke.

Did go through the other thread, and upon looking at my folder structure (as attached), there might be 2 shows creating issues:

- Day 5

- Dimension 404

In the meantime, another folder appeared with the same issue, with "Number" as the parent folder name (screenshot attached) - have no idea which of those might be creating problem.

Tbh, renaming all the series folder seems quite inelegant solution (and it'll affect some other programs, Sonarr for example) - moreover as it all worked quite well for years until latest release.

Cheers,

Grim

post-314621-0-28110400-1564429673_thumb.jpg

post-314621-0-96038800-1564429678_thumb.jpg

post-314621-0-98404700-1564429684_thumb.jpg

WalBob

Are you positive this one is a problem?

Yes....    '100 Days to Victory' is definitely experiencing the same problem. I re-tested that folder using a couple of variations, ie, on it's own and with other folders in the form:

Root\

War\

100 Days to Victory\

Season 1\

GrimReaper

Well, I don't know what is the internal logic by which server determines which folder is a 'season' folder, but going simply by checking if there is a number in a sub-folder name seems quite unspecific and I reckon that it should be a must that sub-folder contains word 'season' or any variation of it (saison, sezon or whatever language you chose to add) + number to determine if parent folder is a Series folder or simply hierarchical.

Cheers,

Grim

• 2 weeks later...
Happy2Play

If we still had the Content type switches at folder level this would be a easy user fix when detection fails.  Or a special named nfo file to force what the folder is.

But from a existing metadata layout I don't see how there should be any confusion.  

Happy2Play

With the discussion in the other topic a 0-9, A-Z folder structure, if there is more then one series in the folders, it makes the folder the Series, but does not apply to all folders.  

Example

5d4b786e0d109_miss.jpg

Tested one series in every folder worked without a issue.

Still testing other variables.

All tests

Library \TV Shows

\0-9 folder

\A thru Z folders

\Seriesnamed folder

\Season x folder

\SxxExx.ext

Edited by Happy2Play