Interesting happenings with codecs and computer freezing.

chef

chef

I updated to mb3 when everyone made the move about a year ago.

Never been happier. I put a new video card into my computer and experienced the media browser classic ui to its fullest extent. Video backdrops and blazing fast ui control.

There was one issue, it was a deal breaker and it was driving me nuts! Every time a movie/tv episode ended my computer would freeze up and it would have to be restarted.

I read log after log trying to figure out if it was media browser, or media Center, or my new graphics card, or windows seven.

Was it hardware? Was it software? Was it corrupted RAM?

Nothing showed in the logs.

My computer hadn't ever done this before. But it is an older machine so I figured it might be time to build a new one.

Then, I remember something. I had switched to using LAV filters when I switched to mb3.

Could this be an issue with my machine?

No one else was experiencing this. I decided as one last resort to switch back to the sharks 007 codec pack. I know that LAV is part of this pack.

What do you know, my computer stopped freezing up after media playback.

I don't know why this is the case, but I thought I would post this just incase someone else was experiencing the same thing.

chef

Had you completely uninstalled Shark before installing LAV?

Indeed. I hadn't checked if I had removed both the 64 and 32bit components of sharks before the upgrade. I may retry the LAV filters making sure everything is removed from sharks.

I am glad that it is a codec issue and not a hardware problem.

Cynful

Had the same problem with ending media causing freezes in earlier versions of MB3 however it fixed itself a number of updates ago. No idea how or why .. I didn't want to jinx it by wondering.

• Like 1