Dlna and subtitles

heula

heula

I also don't see any subtitles yet. I have tested with and without the .nl.srt after the filename. Both no subtitles visable.

Log needed?

• Like 1

So I randomly started getting subtitles today on a Philips Smart Tv that I've been using for some time. It never before got subtitles. I've been using it without a dedicated dlna profile and absolutely nothing has changed except that there are now subtitles. According to the logs it's now transcoding.

Now if only the sony blu ray would cooperate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so I now have subtitles on both my Phillips TV and my Sony blurays player. The trick, it seems, was deleting the custom profiles I had previously (before the latest update) and just letting the server load a generic profile. What I wasn't expecting though was the dramatic decrease in audio quality. Of course this is solely my fault- I should have realized that transcoding would degrade quality somewhat. I could handle the slight decrease in image quality but the audio suffered a lot. I went from 1.5Mbps DTS to 92kbps AAC. Is there some way to limit the loss? Anyway, I think I'll just stick with MBClassic on the big screen and just use DLNA on the smaller Phillips which is being used in stereo only anyhow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the transcoded audio bitrate should be increased. i'll have to look at that. but regardless, coming from dts-hd it's not going to be the same.

Hey @@Luke, thanks for your attention to this matter. I completely understand that there will be some loss during transcoding. Anything you can do to amp it up would be great, though.

To be fair, I just thought to check my transcoding settings and saw I had set to Auto, will try high settings tomorrow.ry5e9e3e.jpg

Is there a way to give each user a different transcoding preference? This seems to be a universal setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jvtm

• 4 weeks later...
heula

What is the status on this. A few server updates further but I still don' t see subtitles or the button enabled where I can set them on my samsung smart tv.

Is a log required?

Edited by heula

• 3 weeks later...
heula

I have subtiles visable now on my Samsung smart tv. But when there are external subtitles available the fast forward or skip buttons are no longer working. Also the video (MKV H264) is not playing smooth at all. I see the loading icon at the top right of my tv appearing every now and then.

No problems playing the same videos with Samsung All Share.

Edited by heula

For me subtitles has stopped working with latest dev build, it works just fine in build Version 3.0.5347.22095 but after that externals subs is not showing on my LG 55LA640 so something must be broken/changed.   Another thing I noticed in the dev build is that MediaInfo is unavailable if there is no metadata downloaded for a tv episode or movie.

Hope Luke and the other gurus here can fix it again , MB3 is without a doubt the best choice nowdays :)

For me subtitles has stopped working with latest dev build, it works just fine in build Version 3.0.5347.22095 but after that externals subs is not showing on my LG 55LA640 so something must be broken/changed.   Another thing I noticed in the dev build is that MediaInfo is unavailable if there is no metadata downloaded for a tv episode or movie.

Hope Luke and the other gurus here can fix it again , MB3 is without a doubt the best choice nowdays :)

The lg dlna profile has never had any subtitle features defined, simply because it hasn't been looked into yet. if it worked at one point, it was there by mistake.

Update:   It has nothing to do with the latest build it's missing metadata.  Media without metadata will no play external subtitles but after doing a manual refresh metadata os showing and subtitles as well.  It's the same behaviour if I use the web as well as DLNA.

Update:   It has nothing to do with the latest build it's missing metadata.  Media without metadata will no play external subtitles but after doing a manual refresh metadata os showing and subtitles as well.  It's the same behaviour if I use the web as well as DLNA.

Same goes for subtitles and playback on Chromecast as well , media without metadata does not show subtitles either.

Playback on Chromecast also have another small bug, when replaying a media with subtitles  the playback has 2 rows of subtitles instead of one.  

Casting a channel after playing a media with subtitles results in subtitles from that media beeing showed.

• 5 months later...

Any chance we can use fast forward etc. buttons again when subtitles are present? We now have subtitles visable and working now but the fast forward etc. buttons no longer have a function.

Samsung Smart TV.

GabrielRR

Hi,

I have a Samsung UE40ES6100 (Smart TV) and I can't put subtitles.  I did everything what is written in this post. Can anyone help me? I have the last version 3.0.5518.4.

Hi,

I have a Samsung UE40ES6100 (Smart TV) and I can't put subtitles.  I did everything what is written in this post. Can anyone help me? I have the last version 3.0.5518.4.

This post is really old, who knows how accurate the information still is. I would just start from the beginning. Please see:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/