Grouping Movies without renaming (Like TV)

shrouski

shrouski

Hi

Is there any way to automatically group Movies into one if the files are in the same directory without renaming them? I don't want to rename for seeding purposes.

TV is being grouped automatically, but Movies I have to do manually which is fine for a few, but scaled up it would be a nightmare. Basically looking for a 4K and 1080p copy to show as one without having to rename.

Thanks

Gilgamesh_48

Hi

Is there any way to automatically group Movies into one if the files are in the same directory without renaming them? I don't want to rename for seeding purposes.

TV is being grouped automatically, but Movies I have to do manually which is fine for a few, but scaled up it would be a nightmare. Basically looking for a 4K and 1080p copy to show as one without having to rename.

Thanks

It sounds like making manual collections would fill your need or you could use the "Sort title just to get them in the listing together.

Collections would have to be created manually but that is not, even with a library that is quite large, too hard. I have 100s of collections, all created manually, for my 1000s of movies.

shrouski

It sounds like making manual collections would fill your need or you could use the "Sort title just to get them in the listing together.

Collections would have to be created manually but that is not, even with a library that is quite large, too hard. I have 100s of collections, all created manually, for my 1000s of movies.

Not really, though. Attached is a picture of a grouped movie done manually (Fast 5) and a grouped TV show done automatically (Stranger Things). What I want is Movies to operate the same way, automatically, rather than having to group manually.

post-184963-0-15903300-1563797240_thumb.png

post-184963-0-48927400-1563797244_thumb.png

Hi.  There is no way to do this automatically without using a file naming convention but you can do it manually as suggested above.

Thanks.

shrouski

Hi.  There is no way to do this automatically without using a file naming convention but you can do it manually as suggested above.

Thanks.

Thanks. Is it planned to be automatic in the future? Perhaps an option to use the TV logic in the Library settings or current logic.

Hi.  We already have an automatic option - via naming conventions.

TV items are uniquely identified by a season and episode number so we don't need any other naming conventions for them.

But for all other items, we cannot assume that videos in the same folder are the same because many people lump them all together like this.

I suppose we could potentially have an option to group all items we identify as the "same" item (e.g. via tmdb) together but this would need to be optional because many people still like to see these as different items in their setups.

shrouski

Hi.  We already have an automatic option - via naming conventions.

TV items are uniquely identified by a season and episode number so we don't need any other naming conventions for them.

But for all other items, we cannot assume that videos in the same folder are the same because many people lump them all together like this.

I suppose we could potentially have an option to group all items we identify as the "same" item (e.g. via tmdb) together but this would need to be optional because many people still like to see these as different items in their setups.

True, but renaming files isn't viable for the majority of your users for various reasons.

The problem with having them separate is the search function is then useless, as you don't know which one you're clicking on. If you could see perhaps a resolution in the search if there's more than one that would work, but I suspect that would be way more work than an option to group by tmdb as you suggested.

If you could see perhaps a resolution in the search if there's more than one that would work, 

Hi.  The CoverArt plug-in can do that for you.

Gilgamesh_48

True, but renaming files isn't viable for the majority of your users for various reasons.

The problem with having them separate is the search function is then useless, as you don't know which one you're clicking on. If you could see perhaps a resolution in the search if there's more than one that would work, but I suspect that would be way more work than an option to group by tmdb as you suggested.

You are the only person I have ever seen post that claimed they could not rename their files to conform with the naming conventions. There have been several that said they would not but none I remember that said they could not. Most seem to name their files correctly without problems.

That is unless you feel you are a "majority" by yourself. I would say that there is only a small minority of users that find renaming not viable.

• Like 3

shrouski

You are the only person I have ever seen post that claimed they could not rename their files to conform with the naming conventions. There have been several that said they would not but none I remember that said they could not. Most seem to name their files correctly without problems.

That is unless you feel you are a "majority" by yourself. I would say that there is only a small minority of users that find renaming not viable.

I guess it depends on how you obtain your media, but anyone on a half decent private tracker would not want to rename it so they can permaseed. Yeah, you can probably fudge around it with symlinks and possibly hardlinks depending on whether it's cross disk or not. Ultimately it's just easier to automate if you leave it the same.

Cheers for the pop though, hope you enjoyed it.

PenkethBoy

Yes i agree the majority rename to the naming conventions and then dont have this problem

Gilgamesh_48

I am afraid I do not understand this sentence. Will someone please explain it. I assume it is supposed to be some kind of insult but without understanding it not only conveys nothing but it also fails in its intent.

Thanks.

CBers

I guess it depends on how you obtain your media, but anyone on a half decent private tracker would not want to rename it so they can permaseed. Yeah, you can probably fudge around it with symlinks and possibly hardlinks depending on whether it's cross disk or not. Ultimately it's just easier to automate if you leave it the same.

Illegal sourcing of content is not something that should be talked about on these forums.