TV Series Multi Language Multi File

iinthesky73
Go to solution Solved by iinthesky73,

iinthesky73

Emby allows for multiple movie files with different language audio to be grouped into one entry in the interface by adding a language suffix at the end of the file name. For example if I have some files of MovieA as such:

MovieA (1999) [Rus].mp4

MovieA (1999) [Eng].mkv

When I look at the entry in Emby for MovieA it shows up as a single entry with an option to select language [Eng] | [Rus]

However, when I try this with any TV show series as such:

TVShow/

Season 1/

01 EpisodeName [Eng].mp4

01 EpisodeName [Rus].mkv

...where I name the files in exactly the same manner (missing the year), it shows up as seperate files with the [Lang] in the title. Is there a way to get Emby to Merge these files in the UI with the same sort of Select Language option as it works with movies?

Edited by iinthesky73

Hi, do the episodes have season and episode numbers in the emby metadata editor? What version of emby server?

iinthesky73

Hi, do the episodes have season and episode numbers in the emby metadata editor? What version of emby server?

Yes, in the Metadata Manager I can see they are organized as such:

Show Name

Season 1

01 Episode Name [Eng]

01 Episode Name [Rus]

02 Episode Name [Eng]

02 Episode Name [Rus]

And so on...

With Movies.. its in the documentation that Emby will automatically combine items named like this into one item in the interface with multiple language selections. Just curious if the same logic is or can be applied to tv shows or if there's a proper way to do it..

iinthesky73

Are they tagged with season and episode numbers though?

So I checked that and it looks like they are tagged with the season number but not the episode numbers,.. I also compared this series with another series with just one language and there is much more metadata available in the .nfo files (and the metadata manager consequently).. \

I tried to add the episode numbers to episode 1 of both files.. doesn't seem to have the desired effect.. It just places a 1. in front of the title

Edited by iinthesky73

Before the grouping will work, all episodes will need to be tagged with season and episode numbers. the parent season folders will also need season numbers.

iinthesky73

Before the grouping will work, all episodes will need to be tagged with season and episode numbers. the parent season folders will also need season numbers.

Ok I just tried it with one episode.. let me go ahead and add all this info to the other episodes.. I'll add the imdb and tvdb IDs also while i'm at it.. When you say the parent folder need season numbers... you mean the actual directory name? If so then this is already the case.

Ok I just tried it with one episode.. let me go ahead and add all this info to the other episodes.. I'll add the imdb and tvdb IDs also while i'm at it.. When you say the parent folder need season numbers... you mean the actual directory name? If so then this is already the case.

Well you can test it by fixing all of them just for one grouping, that way you don't have to tag every single episode before seeing results.

And for season folders, if you have them, no, not the title, the season number value in the metadata editor.

• Like 1

iinthesky73

@@Luke Hey.. ok looks like its starting to work here.. one other question.. I am naming the episodes similar to the way i name the moves to get this behavior. However, when it comes to movies, Emby will automatically strip the [Eng] or [Rus] from the title where it seems with TV shows it doesn't do this.. Is there a proper way to name the files for the purposes of grouping that differs from Movies?

It strips all of the common characters from the beginning of the filenames. Then once they differ, the rest is what you see, that different part.

• Solution
iinthesky73

It strips all of the common characters from the beginning of the filenames. Then once they differ, the rest is what you see, that different part.

@@Luke -- ok man you rock.. Works now! Thank you very much!

I changed it to look like what is suggested in the docs..

01 Episode Name - Lang.mkv

01 Episode Name - Lang.mp4

Works like a charm.

Thanks again!

Edited by iinthesky73
  • Like 1