Emby Flashing images on Roku

zebo51
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

ProperlyFormattedDataFile

can you please attach an emby server log? Have you updated to emby server 4.2? Thanks.

Yes, I'm on 4.2.0.40 and have been on the beta where it also happened from time to time.  I never really used the 4.1 series, so I don't now if this happened on 4.1.  The Roku app is version 3.0.175, though it also happens on the Roku beta channel.

Attached are embyserver and transcode logs from the time.  I started attempting to reproduce this around 9:40 to 9:50PM EDT.  The last attempt that I uploaded Roku logs for was around 9:47PM.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-ab1e4307-16cd-432e-89d7-7f63d5c40d8e_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-c6623021-149b-44d1-8ac1-9cbe1e828929_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-8c581c89-1bcb-42e7-905d-d437f1d22fdb_1.txt

Napsterbater

So if you don't play and you just browse around, does this happen?

For me no, if I launch Emby or Emby Beta with (currently) Beta Server 4.3.0.1 (has been happening for a few versions) it is fine until a play something for what seem like any amount of time, short or long.

Going to PM a Youtube link showing it happening on mine.

Edit: I have this problem on 2 3810x Roku Sticks.

Edited by Napsterbater

So if you don't play and you just browse around, does this happen?

Yeah, it's the same for me, I spent a few minutes navigating to about 30 episode pages for about 10 shows and everything was solid.  As soon as I started playing an episode (with the stats for nerds trick, which doesn't seem to be necessary but seems to make it more reproducible) when I went back to that episode page I saw flashing.  This is on the 3800X.

Napsterbater

So you can reproduce it without stats for nerds, correct?

I can, I pretty much never use that feature and this happens pretty consistently for me.

zebo51

So you can reproduce it without stats for nerds, correct?

I don't have stats for nerds installed and the same for me.  I go launch the roku emby app and navigate around as much as I want, it is not until I play a show or movie of good length that it happens.  Meaning a 20 or so minute show doesn't seem to cause it, I think someone else posted that it happens for them only on shows/movies around an 1hr or longer which is what I have noticed too.

Sorry I haven't been able to post any logs yet.

@@zebo51 I purposely went and got a Roku streaming stick+ 3810 just so I could start to chase this issue (..and other issues) directly. So far I have fixed the loading spinner. You will see that spinning and grow/shrink on these low end devices now (Roku express, Roku 2 XD/XS, Roku streaming stick). We were incorrectly limiting our animations too aggressively and some low end models were being unfairly left out. These models will now also share all the animations. I will also keep using this model to develop on for a few days until I experience this flashing issue. Just curious, what operating system do you have? Is your media stored on the same machine as the server is installed on? I want to copy as many variables as you have to match your environment. I have matched the Roku device 3810. Are there any other pointers you can give me to duplicate your set up?

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

------

(50" TCL Roku TV - 9.1.0.4129)

>r2d2_bitmaps

Available memory 27383398 used 63213568 max 90596966

>free

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available

Mem:         444536      196796      124892        7204      122848      218060

Swap:             0           0           0

------

(Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810) - 9.1.0.4111)

>r2d2_bitmaps

Available memory 70745600 used 49254400 max 120000000

>free

Mem:         505188      167932      142256        4328      195000      311584

Swap:        126296           0      126296

On paper the specs for the Roku streaming stick+ should blow away the Roku TV. The streaming stick+ has more RAM. The Roku TV only has a slightly larger cache for RAM. But the big difference is the Roku streaming stick+ has turned off 2 of the CPU cores. So true it is a 4 core beast but only acts like she ever has 2. Now for the list of problems on it...

I see the issue here too. The streaming stick never makes full use of the full 4 cores it has. It only ever uses 2 of them at any given time. This means yep it can only dispatch two tasks at once. It has issues because of this. It must fetch URL's and while it does this some stuff hangs until this finishes because of this crippling. I think they cripple the other 2 cores from running to keep heat dissipation from overheat the little stick. That is why the damn thing is kinda slower at rendering. It has to wait for data and stalls during rendering. It looks so poor. Roku does not say we must work with this device. Roku says the lowest end device we must work on is the 3900 and 3910 (Roku express/Roku express+). The fact we work on lower end models than this is us trying to support the past. We are actively trying to get proper support for these older devices but this will of course have issues you will see. This is because these older devices may not play well with some of the animation techniques we use in the future. The Roku express is sometimes found on sale for under $25. This does not support 4K like the streaming stick+ does but it does support all 4 cores at the same time running. The Roku express is much faster than the Roku streaming stick+ 3810. The Roku express runs all the full animation tests that I have thrown at it so far just like the other Roku. If you are looking to replace your aging Roku try the Roku express. We are specifically going to work with this as we have this model in our device fleet and Roku demands that the app work on Roku express. They purposely test the app on Roku express and if it fails any timing or progress tests (beacon testing) we fail certification. I suggest you pick up the Roku express. You will be happier.

Edited by speechles

I only turned on debug options after this issue started occurring. And to confirm, yes I've seen it without using the stats popup.

I only turned on debug options after this issue started occurring. And to confirm, yes I've seen it without using the stats popup.

You are sure it is the 3800 has for sure these issues. You know why I am asking..heh. I will take the dive and spend the money to see why our app breaks on that damn thing. I want to see if it is because of the same reason the 3810 also sucks(cache isn't garbage collected correctly). But if it is, why doesn't the 3810 also always have the defect? I want both the same as you have to see. I won't ask you to send me yours. I just need the exact model number you have that has for sure the issue and can reproduce always. Thank you. :)

Edited by speechles

image.png

Let me clarify about which Roku streaming stick sucks. The last two above do. The 3810 is the middle/2nd. The 3800 is the last/3rd.

The 1st is this which I assume is not the 3810 and 3800.

Anyone have that one or know what model number it is? It doesn't say... oddly. The box art doesn't show it either.. mystery... Maybe it is just a clever disguise and is the 3810 and just makes it look premium to get more dollars? Maybe it is just the streaming stick+ not (renewed)? Amazon makes it too easy to scam people and sell them devices they already have when trying to collect a flock of them. *shakes fist at Amazon*

Edited by speechles

I appreciate the commitment. The 3800x is the model number I read from the about page, but I can double check and get you the exact specs tonight around 9-10pm Eastern when I get home from work.

• Like 1

I appreciate the commitment. The 3800x is the model number I read from the about page, but I can double check and get you the exact specs tonight around 9-10pm Eastern when I get home from work.

Take all the time you need. Once I know how to proceed I am willing to grab one to see how badly it sucks or if we can improve anything on it so the suck factor goes down significantly. It is okay that I have more problem devices. This is good. If the device has no issues and becomes just ordinary then I have a problem buying more. All of them so far are idiosyncratic ( same way I am :) it isn't a bad thing ) and perform differently. Having them all increases the good software (code that works on all devices equally) vs bad software (code that breaks on some devices) ratio. It also decreases the amount of bug reports we get from users on these devices. I might add it does that significantly cutting down on user complaints having the ability to test on so many different Roku. Knowing I can check before we ever get to that point myself and we can know. Knowing is half the battle. GI JOE! But really knowing is tantamount to the truth. The truth is fact. Fact is worth buying another Roku. Seeing for your own eyes is important. Being able to believe is easier when the same experience can be had on a completely different Roku unit of the same model in my hands. You then know you aren't alone. You are not the only one having the problem when I see it too. So yes please tell me what the model number is exactly when it has problems. This is most important. Thank you. We all want the same thing. We are Emby. I know it feels weird having people go this far for customer service.. but we are Emby. How else should we be? Think Zappos customer service x1000. Do you need a pizza ordered and are stuck in a blizzard with no way to get food. Let us know we would order that pizza or call 911 to save your life. Nothing is off the table. Just ask. Don't be shy.  :)

Also I don't have a 3800 yet.. notice I said yet.. let me know for sure if that is the model number because I have one in my shopping cart on Amazon already just have to push the last button to purchase.

Like Aladdin who asked Jasmine... 

Do you trust me? As I will make magic.... perhaps magic carpets. I love new ideas.

Edited by speechles

You are sure it is the 3800 has for sure these issues. You know why I am asking..heh. I will take the dive and spend the money to see why our app breaks on that damn thing. I want to see if it is because of the same reason the 3810 also sucks(cache isn't garbage collected correctly). But if it is, why doesn't the 3810 also always have the defect? I want both the same as you have to see. I won't ask you to send me yours. I just need the exact model number you have that has for sure the issue and can reproduce always. Thank you. :)

Edit2: Don't buy this if you have already have a 3900X.  For me, the issue reproduces the same on the 3800 and 3900.

According to the about page:

Model: 3800X - Roku Streaming Stick

Software Version: 9.1.0 * build 4111-55 (I confirmed there are no system updates available)

w/r to the 3 models, I think the difference between 1 and 2 is just new vs renewed, which seems to be the new way to say refurbished.

Edit, best I can tell the letter after the number (e.g. 3800r vs. 3800x) only has to do with the store you bought it from, which determines which services get their own buttons on the remote.

Edited by ProperlyFormattedDataFile

Napsterbater

image.png

Let me clarify about which Roku streaming stick sucks. The last two above do. The 3810 is the middle/2nd. The 3800 is the last/3rd.

Anyone have that one or know what model number it is? It doesn't say... oddly. The box art doesn't show it either.. mystery... Maybe it is just a clever disguise and is the 3810 and just makes it look premium to get more dollars? Maybe it is just the streaming stick+ not (renewed)? Amazon makes it too easy to scam people and sell them devices they already have when trying to collect a flock of them. *shakes fist at Amazon*

The first and the second are both 3810x The first is a new one the second is a renewed/refurbished one. And the last is a 3800x

Also this attached file may help or may not just a high level differences of the units.

compare-chart-products-en-us.pdf

Happy2Play

Looks like the primary difference is the 3800 has half the memory and channel storage of a 3810 and 4K.

5d4b80bab5f53_gen.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

------
 (50" TCL Roku TV - 9.1.0.4129)

>r2d2_bitmaps
Available memory 27383398 used 63213568 max 90596966

>free
Mem:         444536      196796      124892        7204      122848      218060
Swap:             0           0           0

------
(Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810) - 9.1.0.4111)

>r2d2_bitmaps
Available memory 70745600 used 49254400 max 120000000

>free
Mem:         505188      167932      142256        4328      195000      311584
Swap:        126296           0      126296

On paper the specs for the Roku streaming stick+ should blow away the Roku TV. The streaming stick+ has more RAM. The Roku TV only has a slightly larger cache for RAM. But the big difference is the Roku streaming stick+ has turned off 2 of the CPU cores. So true it is a 4 core beast but only acts like she ever has 2. Now for the list of problems on it...

I see the issue here too. The streaming stick never makes full use of the full 4 cores it has. It only ever uses 2 of them at any given time. This means yep it can only dispatch two tasks at once. It has issues because of this. It must fetch URL's and while it does this some stuff hangs until this finishes because of this crippling. I think they cripple the other 2 cores from running to keep heat dissipation from overheat the little stick. That is why the damn thing is kinda slower at rendering. It has to wait for data and stalls during rendering. It looks so poor. Roku does not say we must work with this device. Roku says the lowest end device we must work on is the 3900 and 3910 (Roku express/Roku express+). The fact we work on lower end models than this is us trying to support the past. We are actively trying to get proper support for these older devices but this will of course have issues you will see. This is because these older devices may not play well with some of the animation techniques we use in the future. The Roku express is sometimes found on sale for under $25. This does not support 4K like the streaming stick+ does but it does support all 4 cores at the same time running. The Roku express is much faster than the Roku streaming stick+ 3810. The Roku express runs all the full animation tests that I have thrown at it so far just like the other Roku. If you are looking to replace your aging Roku try the Roku express. We are specifically going to work with this as we have this model in our device fleet and Roku demands that the app work on Roku express. They purposely test the app on Roku express and if it fails any timing or progress tests (beacon testing) we fail certification. I suggest you pick up the Roku express. You will be happier.

I think you can save some money: I found a 3900X and have successfully reproduced the issue the same way and with the same reliability as the 3800X.

zebo51

@@zebo51 I purposely went and got a Roku streaming stick+ 3810 just so I could start to chase this issue (..and other issues) directly. So far I have fixed the loading spinner. You will see that spinning and grow/shrink on these low end devices now (Roku express, Roku 2 XD/XS, Roku streaming stick). We were incorrectly limiting our animations too aggressively and some low end models were being unfairly left out. These models will now also share all the animations. I will also keep using this model to develop on for a few days until I experience this flashing issue. Just curious, what operating system do you have? Is your media stored on the same machine as the server is installed on? I want to copy as many variables as you have to match your environment. I have matched the Roku device 3810. Are there any other pointers you can give me to duplicate your set up?

My issues was with my 3800RW, not my 3810x +.  I think another poster has the same two sticks and also scenario.  Although my 3810x is in a bedroom and I don't watch anything on it more than 30 mins or so.  I will try and watch something over an hour and see.

I don't think I have this spinner issue, nothing stands out.

My media server runs on W10 Pro.  My media is stored on a Netgear NAS connected via network.  All wired is 1Gb.  I would need to verify but pretty all my wireless devices use at least A, nothing on BG anymore. 

Thanks for continued work on this.

Starlionblue

image.png

The leftmost one is the one I have. As mentioned, it is a "3810X - Roku Streaming Stick +" (that's a plus sign at the end). It has version 9.10 build 4111-50

I think you can save some money: I found a 3900X and have successfully reproduced the issue the same way and with the same reliability as the 3800X.

I have a 3900 Roku express but cannot reproduce. I also have a 3810. Please explain the steps to reproduce and I am all over this like a wet towel.

• Like 1

I have a 3900 Roku express but cannot reproduce. I also have a 3810. Please explain the steps to reproduce and I am all over this like a wet towel.

This is how I've been able to reproduce it on 4.2.0.40 / 3.0.175:

- Create a library of TV Shows, set it up to download metadata in English / US / English with the default sources.

- Turn on thumbnail creation (no idea if this matters, but I have it on)

- On Roku, navigate to the show, then the season, then to an individual episode in this library

- Play the episode, turn on stats for nerds, and then navigate away with the back button on the roku remote.

- At this point, you should be back at the episode screen with elements flashing in and out on the screen

@@ProperlyFormattedDataFile I solved the problem. It is related to not properly using loadHeight and loadWidth on images we do not know the resolution of in advance. The server does scale these but it is possible that it isn't for you at the same time. If the server isn't doing this then the loadHeight and loadWidth combined with limitSize will fix it and not chew up texture memory. The advantage of doing this is we gain higher resolution images and lose the blurry. We also gain more texture memory to use for higher resolution images since we are so efficient now. So expect this to be fixed yes and not by dumbing down your images in resolution. You will keep your 1080P high resolution art and now we will more efficiently handle loading it into texture memory and our image frames. This means you get your cake and can eat it too. I have tested this on the Roku express 3900 and Roku streaming stick+ 3810. The loading spinner will also be getting a facelift. It will also spin on models where it did not before. It will be a much improved loading spinner animation that both looks good and spins good. Same spinner face, new animations for it... to fit the future.. lol

Eric is busy right now with other things, real life. When he gets back to us here at that time you can expect all these updates I have been working on to make the app. It won't be long. ^_^

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2