force closed not working on external player

ABNParatrooper

ABNParatrooper

If I am correct, when the option to force close the external player when they stop button is pressed, means just that. I end the movie by pressing stop, then the external player (VLC) should disappear from the screen (close). That is not happening, I still have to click the X or use file>exit to close it. I will work on a way to maybe call a script to kill the process.

ABNParatrooper

Thanks for the tip, but hmm, seems like if I use Jriver, then what is the point of using MBT? I could be wrong here in my assessment, but just from looking at the Jriver site, it seems to fall in the line of otherĀ  apps like MP, XBMC, etc. I could see the logic of using VLC as an external player since it does not scrape metadata. Not bashing Jriver, just being cynical I guess.

steelman1991

Nothing cynical, but the only element of JRiver that mombasa and others are using is merely the playback engine - other elements are still controlled from MB. Not a solution, but workaround for those struggling and wanting madVR playback with MBT.

Ā 

I would suggest that its only really recommnended for those who might have already tinkered and have JRiver previously installed - as there is a $50.00 fee to obtain full use.

Edited by steelman1991

ABNParatrooper

Thanks steelman for the response. Hey Mombasa I got JRiver installed, but not sure what settings to put to have MBT call it as an external player. I pointed it to media center 18.exe, but that threw an error. I appreciate any input you can offer.

JDizzy

If I am correct, when the option to force close the external player when they stop button is pressed, means just that. I end the movie by pressing stop, then the external player (VLC) should disappear from the screen (close). That is not happening, I still have to click the X or use file>exit to close it. I will work on a way to maybe call a script to kill the process.

Ā 

It seems with JRiver that there are actually 2 programs running, 1.) the actual media center and 2.) the player. If I use the Stop button it will dump me back into the media center (JRiver) and then I have to Exit from there. This might also be the case with VLC?

Luckily my MCE compatible remote has a 'Close' button on it that completely exits JRiver and takes me back to MBT. But I do wish I could getĀ  the Stop button to do the same thing.

Ā 

The only reason for using an external player is because I can not get MBT to run smoothly when using madvr. Once this is accomplished I will just use MBT.

Edited by JDizzy

mombasa123

Yup - only reason I am using JRiver is because of its awesome Red October HQ playback engine which uses LAV and MadVR. I just cannot get MBT to work with MadVR and now the latest build's internal player w/o MadVR stutters too on high quality 1080p material.

Ā 

Ā Tbh, I still also use XBMC Gotham withe the Aeon Nox 4.1 Gotham skin as it does have tremendous functionality and makes stuff like downloading subtitles so easy. I use that for TV Series etc and switch to MBT/JRiver for high quality movies.

Ā 

My MBT external player settings are :

Ā 

Media Player path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 19\Media Center 19.exe

Command line arguments : {PATH}

Ā 

PS the 'close' button does the trick for me too. Stop doesn't resume.

Edited by mombasa123

ABNParatrooper

Thanks guys. @Mombasa, when I used that path you have (except I have mce18), It does work if I use c:\windows\system32\mce18.exe. What is the model of your remote? Mine does not have a close button.

mombasa123

Yes, it depends on where your JRiver is installed.

Ā 

And I have the same MCE remote. Can pick it from eBay etc.

ABNParatrooper

So, I have not bought the remote as, but I am using Unified Remote. BTW, does that remote you have Mombasa, launch MBT when you press the green button? My current MCE remote does not.

ABNParatrooper

Sorry so many questions, so if that remote does not launch MBT, how are you launching MBT from a/the remote? Right now I use Unified to manage the launching, by using the basic mouse option to click the icon for MBT, then I use the Mediabrowser3 option to manage the navigation. Only annoyance is when the movies is done, I can't force close JR. No biggie (for now), I just switch to basic input on Unified remote and close JR.