Android TV on Shield - Scrolling in Collections detail screen

jordy

That's not exactly correct... The items in that side bar were just the rows that you still see on your home screen. They weren't your libraries. It was just a collapsed list of all the titles of the rows on that screen. You can still get to all of them in the same number of clicks by scrolling down.

Yeah I know that. What I'm saying is I like the option of having it the old way because I could just scroll on the left side and click instead of HAVING to scroll through everything.

Here's a suggestion.

Why not make "Dynamic Collections" using the Search function.

Simply type in your search term - say "James Bond" and press "Collection Search" this could produce a tabbed page listing all Movies, Actors, People (directors etc), Music and whatever else you have in your library which is related to that search term.

This would be all encompassing and truly dynamic without the manual management required to compile a special mixed collection. You could add or remove anything to your library and it would be instantly available to this "Dynamic Collection".

Would solve this issue and probably excite a lot of your users who like that sort of stuff.

Just a thought :)

Edited by jordy

As long as we are separating collection members by type (as opposed to in one single list) this is technically challenging on this platform because you cannot have multiple vertical scrolling grids in a vertically scrolling layout.

I'm not a coder, I'm just a paying customer. And I asked because I would really love it if my collections would scroll vertically. They scroll vertically on Plex. I like Emby better don't get me wrong. Just would like to see vertical collection scrolling.

Ah, yes, OK. But surely not a mixture of movies, artists, people, TV Shows, Music etc etc ALL in the same Collection - isn't that what were talking about here - Mixed collections? That doesn't make any sense, it would be ridiculously hard to find anything or sort it for that matter. It would probably mean using a search function to find what you want, but that can be done from almost anywhere...

My collections are exclusively one type of media. TV shows my wife and I watch. TV shows that I watch. I'm going to create a movie collection of things we want to see immediately. I wouldn't expect vertical collection scrolling to be very doable with mixed media.

Here's a suggestion.

Why not make "Dynamic Collections" using the Search function.

Simply type in your search term - say "James Bond" and press "Collection Search" this could produce a tabbed page listing all Movies, Actors, People (directors etc), Music and whatever else you have in your library which is related to that search term.

This would be all encompassing and truly dynamic without the manual management required to compile a special mixed collection. You could add or remove anything to your library and it would be instantly available to this "Dynamic Collection".

Would solve this issue and probably excite a lot of your users who like that sort of stuff.

Just a thought :)

That doesn't sound like something that I would like. I can't picture what you mean. I'd have to see it because what I'm imagining seems like it would be clunky. Plus I really mostly want this for my TV collections. It sucks to only see 6 things at a time with a 30 plus item collection. It's much slower to scroll horizontally.

Smart views & playlists are planned for the future.

Smart playlists will be great. I love Kodi as a media player and smart playlists rule. Kodi can play anything you throw at it with no problem. I went with Emby because the DVR integration with IPTV is a feature no other media player can match. If you make smart playlists I think you might have a center that covers everything.

That doesn't sound like something that I would like. I can't picture what you mean. I'd have to see it because what I'm imagining seems like it would be clunky. Plus I really mostly want this for my TV collections. It sucks to only see 6 things at a time with a 30 plus item collection. It's much slower to scroll horizontally.

it wasn't necessarily directed at you. I'm just imagining something that would give us a look at everything in our libraries that is related to a search term - be it a movie name, actor or music etc - all in one place, with horizontal or vertical tabs for each "Type" of item.

It would allow Collections to be restricted to single types again and thus allow vertical scrolling which is what you and I are looking for

Edited by jordy

• 6 months later...
ashotjp

This is anointing as hell.

On Computer Emby, Web Os TV - the collection with many movies in it have several rows.

on Nvidia Shield it has one row and scrolling one row is pissing me off when you have line 20+ movies.

why can you make absolutely same interface and option in all platforms? Please make collection in Android TV (OS) like Shield to have collection with many rows!

skeezic
17 hours ago, Luke said:

We are looking into improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes please just make the interface for Android TV, the Emby app, the same as the web or PC interface. That would make me so much happier.

Hi,

One is a hands on device with keyboard mouse and one is a 10 foot UI with a remote.  They have different needs and text sizes with different functionality for each platform/device.

skeezic
17 hours ago, Luke said:

We are looking into improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

Or at least just fix the collection view and scrolling problem.

• 11 months later...
tomnjerry74

Any update on this? Collection viewing on Android TV is in desperate need of an overhaul. As ashotjp pointed out, as soon as you have a collection of like 20+ items, it becomes exponentially ridiculous having to horizontally scroll through everything.

Hi.  There is a button on the screen labeled "All Items".  Press that and you will get a grid of everything in the collection.

• Like 2

tomnjerry74
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  There is a button on the screen labeled "All Items".  Press that and you will get a grid of everything in the collection.

Beautiful. Don't know how I missed that. Thanks ebr!