Are music and pictures in MBT yet

bob808

bob808

I love the way MBT looks and works, and the speed is great for movies and tv series, but despite having pictures and music setup on the server I don't see these in MBT.

Is there a way to enable, or is this still WIP?  I see music is in the windows 8.1 app, but not pictures, but neither in MBT?

Thanks

bob808

Edited by bob808

A8HTPC

You can do music, but its a little of a cluster. 1 song at a time last time I tried it. Needs some more work.

justpig

Yes it is the webclient but that is also how it appears in MBT with no option to view photos in fullsize individually.

johnhb

Not yet (as above just very basic folder browsing)

Waiting (trying to wait!) patiently for these myself.

Also hoping the audio engine will be redesigned soon to ditch the lav filters and provide gapless flac playback. The dev version already uses wasapi so hopefully it's headed in the right direction.

Would love to start using this as my main htpc ui. I'm sure it's going to be great eventually, just hope it's months rather than years off...

Edited by johnhb
  • Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Unfortunately neither music or photos have adequate support in Media Browser Theater. Or any content type outside of Movies and Television. You lose so much by trying to go through the Media Folders.

This is what is holding it back from being a high quality client.

Tom and the team are working on a major overhaul, and once it's ready it's going to be faster and easier to pump these features out.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

Tom and the team are working on a major overhaul, and once it's ready it's going to be faster and easier to pump these features out.

Would that also include live tv?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
swhitmore

Hey, I'm just wondering if there is any development on music, pictures, and live TV in MBT? I would love to ditch WMC, especially on my smaller NUC HTPC.

Spaceboy

Well apparently live TV is coming to 2 more clients "soon". I believe it will be win8 and android. I too like you am desperate to drop wmc for mbt but live TV is essential, music just behind. Users of mbt would double or treble overnight if a realistic alternative to wmc could be offered, but this is not a priority apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnhb

Totally agree. All the ingredients are there - great, database backend, nice elegant professional looking gui. Just needs the core elements to be completed and the playback issues fixed and hopefully icing on the cake like gapless, bit perfect music and stable madrv support (or just native playback to xbmc Gotham standards).

I wish there was more dev going in to complete this rather than small additions on the server side or other apps as this is what we want to use in our living rooms on our HTPCs, which must be the core user group/potential user group of MB3?

Still waiting patiently ish :-)

swhitmore

I wish there was more dev going in to complete this rather than small additions on the server side or other apps as this is what we want to use in our living rooms on our HTPCs, which must be the core user group/potential user group of MB3?

I think some new devs have joined the cause, but I agree, it would be nice to see MBT get some core features, especially since it's the front end for most people. Looking forward to it!

bob808

It will be nice when it's available but at the same time this is alpha software still I think and being developed at a rate of knots compared to media portal and xbmc.

When this is available then it will be a trigger for many to ditch their current front ends and move over but I doubt it's being neglected by the devs.

It's not. We actually have four developers on it. They've chosen to do a major overhaul in order to get it ready for custom themes, and to make it easier to add new screens such as these. So it just needs a little time.

• Like 4

denethor

Than let me add some feature requests on this  B)

I've been asking this from competition for a long time. Despite the fact that it has developed ages ago; Windows Media Centre is still the best for Photo navigation. Because it uses tags (but lacks Geo tags). I have tens of thousands photos like many of you. Organising them with folders is useless. So I'm tagging them since the beginning. 

I hope that your Photo Section will support both EXIF, JPEG Tags and Geo Tags for searching and sorting.

By the way best server side photo browser (for my taste) came out from very unexpected place: Synology Photo Station Smart Albums is very good example. Please take look at it when you have time

Edited by denethor
  • Like 1

Will do. And I agree about WMC. Despite it's age, some of it's presentations are still unmatched.

johnhb

Different strokes i guess... Personally i think the default look is spot on and gives the sw identity, so would put custom themes way down the list - OTOH appreciate coding for this capability early is a must if it has to be included.

I'm definitely not suggesting it's being neglected - i know there is a huge amount of work across all the sub projects, and i really appreciate it :-) one big advantage versus xbmc has to be separation of the backend Db function, albeit obviously it still has to be integrated. Nevertheless, I guess where i was coming from is the server side seems rather mature now so getting mbt to beta and rel phase as timely as possible would be nice. The win8 app for example is far more advanced in terms of features (though lacks photo support if i recall correctly?) and is another very pro looking gui, but it will never be as powerful as native from a video and audio quality perspective (unless Microsoft's restrictions on the modern ui could be circumvented).

I'm confident it will all deliver in the end, I'm just impatient!

If i could add any value coding wise, I'd jump at the chance, but think id just slow things down!

Edited by johnhb

swhitmore

I have tens of thousands photos like many of you. Organising them with folders is useless. So I'm tagging them since the beginning. 

I really need to find time to do this, but I just have too many photos now :( Can you recommend the fastest way to tag photos? (Sorry for getting off topic)

Different strokes i guess... Personally i think the default look is spot on and gives the sw identity, so would put custom themes way down the list - OTOH appreciate coding for this capability early is a must if it has to be included.

I'm definitely not suggesting it's being neglected - i know there is a huge amount of work across all the sub projects, and i really appreciate it :-) one big advantage versus xbmc has to be separation of the backend Db function, albeit obviously it still has to be integrated. Nevertheless, I guess where i was coming from is the server side seems rather mature now so getting mbt to beta and rel phase as timely as possible would be nice. The win8 app for example is far more advanced in terms of features (though lacks photo support if i recall correctly?) and is another very pro looking gui, but it will never be as powerful as native from a video and audio quality perspective (unless Microsoft's restrictions on the modern ui could be circumvented).

I'm confident it will all deliver in the end, I'm just impatient!

If i could add any value coding wise, I'd jump at the chance, but think id just slow things down!

It isn't just custom themes. These guys are professionals of the same technology MBT is built with. They are basically doing the same kind of thing Ebr and I have done with the server. We have made it really easy for new people to jump in and build plugins and channels, and similarly, they are doing the same thing with MBT. Once their rework is complete it's going to sprout a whole new developer community for it.

• Like 3

denethor

I really need to find time to do this, but I just have too many photos now :( Can you recommend the fastest way to tag photos? (Sorry for getting off topic)

Personally I prefer Windows Live Essentials 2012 Photo Gallery. It also have some face recognition capabilities but not as good as Picasa in this area and it also supports tagging multiple photos at the same time.

I usally do tagging for every 500-700 photos that I took. It takes 10-15minutes to complete. Photo Gallery is good enough for me.

Some says Picasa is better but I don't want Google involvement on my personal staff...

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I like windows photo gallery for this too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1