DNLA on another network

madhatr

madhatr

I am trying to setup MB to allow my parents to stream video from my server to a DNLA device in their house. I have a static IP, I can connect to a play videos from their house in a browser. I hooked up a Apple TV with XBMC to a TV in their house. I had tested this at home and had no problem picking a video and casting it to the Apple TV's XBMC, but at my parents house when I try to send it it the Apple TV running XBMC is times out. It also shows as options to cast to devices on my network, not theirs.

How would I go about set MB to allow my parents to select a video from my collection and stream it to a TV in their house on their network? My parents also have DNLA as a option on the Philips TV, Samsung TV and Sony TV in their house, which I would much rather use instead of adding another device. I have a Chromecast I could plug into at least 1 of the TV's, but since they all support DNLA I would rather use it.

MB seems to still be looking for devices on my network instead of theirs. Is there anyway I can change this?

Vidman

I don't like your chances of being able to use dlna without a complicated workaround... There is a alpha/beta version of a media browser client here in the forum you could try for the Samsung TV though

This type of scenario hasn't been tested yet, so if you'd like to help pave the we'll appreciate your contributions .

Vidman

This type of scenario hasn't been tested yet, so if you'd like to help pave the we'll appreciate your contributions .

Isn't dlna limited to LANs?

Koleckai Silvestri

The server cannot see your parents DLNA devices because they are on a different network segment. You would have to have your parents connect to your network in a way that their devices receive their IP addresses from your DHCP provider. Using a VPN may allow this.

Edited by Wayne Luke

hoxtonia

If you are in the UK then the NowTV box will deliver what you are after for £9.99 - simple and straightforward and works perfectly for my Mum. I know it is another device but it does give a great mediabrowser experience. I would be interested to hear how remote DLNA works out for you. This is something I would like to be able to set up on their second tv which has DLNA support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hoxtonia

Vidman

I had considered VPN as a option, I am also looking into UPnP Device Relay's. The VPN option appears to not be as simple as I would have hoped, requiring bridging the network on my parents machine allow local and VPN connection at the same time so the multicast signal can correctly transverse the network and the DLNA device and see the server and respond. When streaming to a Chromecast instead of XBMC will I run into the same issue? Is it using DLNA or something else that will translate correctly over the internet?

Have you looked into bubbleupnp it features "internet upnp tethering" which seems like what you're trying to do. ... But it requires an android device at your parents place

madhatr

I had considered VPN as a option, I am also looking into UPnP Device Relay's. The VPN option appears to not be as simple as I would have hoped, requiring bridging the network on my parents machine allow local and VPN connection at the same time so the multicast signal can correctly transverse the network and the DLNA device and see the server and respond. When streaming to a Chromecast instead of XBMC will I run into the same issue? Is it using DLNA or something else that will translate correctly over the internet?