Show actor thumbs in XBMC

fonzie

fonzie

I am using MediaBrowser to scrape all of my metadata because it is very good at it, but I am having issues with actor thumbs.

my unRAID server is named "media"

within that server I have a share called "movies" where all my movies are stored in individual folders with their corresponding metadata in each.

I have a separate share entitled "actors" that contains actor, artist, genre and studio images.

my nfo makes references to all art as shown in the example below:

<art>

<poster>\\Media\Movies\Fargo\poster.jpg</poster>

<fanart>\\Media\Movies\Fargo\fanart.jpg</fanart>

<fanart>\\Media\Movies\Fargo\extrafanart\fanart1.jpg</fanart>

<fanart>\\Media\Movies\Fargo\extrafanart\fanart2.jpg</fanart>

<fanart>\\Media\Movies\Fargo\extrafanart\fanart3.jpg</fanart>

</art>
<actor>

<name>William H. Macy</name>

<role>Jerry Lundegaard</role>

<thumb>\\media\Actors\People\W\William H. Macy\poster.jpg</thumb>

</actor>

<actor>

<name>Frances McDormand</name>

<role>Marge Gunderson</role>

<thumb>\\media\Actors\People\F\Frances McDormand\poster.jpg</thumb>

</actor>

the problem that I am running into is that my XBMC machine is running openelec and I guess the linux distros have issues with the format the directory is stored as.

in short, I think I have to change the thumb from:

<thumb>\\media\Actors\People\W\William H. Macy\poster.jpg</thumb>

to

<thumb>smb://media/Actors/People/W/William H. Macy/poster.jpg</thumb>

so how do I do that in MediaBrowser?

Well, the saver used to have its own path substitution feature to take care of that but it was changed to use the global substitution feature.  We will need to restore the saver's individual setting to be able to do this without screwing up the substitution for other clients.  If you don't use any other clients, you can probably do it with the global path substitution feature for now.

fonzie

I use XBMC primarily, but I also use MediaBrowser and Plex

but was I right in thinking the directory has to be changed to smb:// for it to show up in openelec?

but was I right in thinking the directory has to be changed to smb:// for it to show up in openelec?

Yes.  You can use path substitution to fix it but that will make it impossible for MBT and MBC to directly access your content.

fonzie

I use my XBMC openelec machines throughout my house.  The mediabrowser server is accessed via web browser remotely and so is the plex media server.

I don't use mediabrowser theater or mediabrowser classic.

Here's a thought:

what if I uncheck the "save image paths within nfo files" in the XBMC data saver plugin.  The fanart, poster, extrafanart, etc will no longer be referenced in the nfo but I believe the actor thumbs will remain in the nfo along with the new substituted path.

This way, worst case scenario, only the actor thumbs will now show if I were to use MBT or MBC.

is my thinking correct with this?

The thing is, with any of our other clients, it isn't just images this will affect.  It will make it impossible for them to access the videos themselves.

For now, you can just use the path substitution that is there for this.  Hopefully soon we'll have the ability to define this substitution just for the saver in the saver plug-in itself.

xnappo

Note that XBMB3C support actor info/images now.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo