Google home enhancement

Nerdguy

Nerdguy

So Im liking the google assistant use on google home. I would like to say

Ok google, talk to emby home,

Play movie <movie> on <device name(master bedroom, living room)

Right now I have to set player first and that kinda annoying not to have simple flow.

Also if I use google it stops playing on all other devices. :(

• Like 2

BillOatman

So Im liking the google assistant use on google home. I would like to say

Ok google, talk to emby home,

Play movie <movie> on <device name(master bedroom, living room)

Right now I have to set player first and that kinda annoying not to have simple flow.

Also if I use google it stops playing on all other devices. :(

Bolded seems like a bug.  But the other is the same for the Alexa assistant.  It would be nice to be able to marry a google/amazon device to a particular Emby client (typically the ones in the same room).  I don't think Alexa skills have the ability to know which device it is (maybe they do now, it's been a while since I checked), but Google programs might.

But that's only a one-time thing, right?

chef

Alexa can be grouped with devices in a smart home. So it knows which light to turn on when asking generically ' turn on the light', or 'tv' for fireTV's.

Google home will do the same.

Inorder to set up a generic request in either of the two bots configurations, emby would have to present itself as a smart home product.

Currently these are regular skills.

There are options in the skill building process called 'slots', which would allow the user to uses phrases such as 'ask emby home to play the movie cars 3 on fire TV.'

Or use the ID of the Alexa/Google device to know which emby device it should control, because they are in the same room. Like the in the video below.

Edited by chef
  • Like 2

Nerdguy

So if I have 5 rooms with each a google home and a emby client. I should be able to assign emby client to that google home? I would like to start a movie in another room by asking google from another room as well start a movie in the media room without asking emby home to set player. It shoudle be a simple flow, like.

Hey google... tell emby home to play x movie in y room.

Then say tell emby home to play y movie in x room.

Without having to change default player, I can see having default client set so you can say tell emby home to play x movie.

Edited by Nerdguy

Nerdguy

Yes you are correct @chef I can make my own custom skill, however I had to do that for Kodi, Plex and home-brew, I like the native google integration Emby has, I just wanted Emby to be more fluent for myself and others in my situation, hence the feature request.

• 10 months later...
Jbbrack03

I agree that it would be nice to smooth out the flow of commands with Google Home. Honestly, I'd prefer to just setup my default Emby Server for my Google Home device, and then be able to say "Hey Google, play CONTENT-NAME on Emby". That's the simplest thing that I can think of. It is similar to how you would play content in other Apps on the Google home device. For example: "Hey Google play System of a Down on Emby" or Hey Google play Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on Emby". If that can be sorted, then it's the most natural way to use Emby with a Google Assistant device.

Right now we're looking to add another developer to our team to help with google home and alexa. Once we do that, development of these features should be able to progress much more quickly.