Emby server stopped responding

wrkilu
Go to solution Solved by wrkilu,

• Solution
wrkilu

This case still bothered me so I tried to troubleshoot it and finally I've found real reasons!. It turned out problems aren't with Emby but with my LAN!

First problem was with my router. It has enabled option UPnP, first I thought it should be enabled but during troublshooting I noticed that DLNA client like my Centos try to talk with my router instead of Ubuntu server with Emby! Router had opened 1900 port. So I disabled that option on it and first problem was solved. Second problem was that I forgot I have VPN client too on that Ubuntu server (with Emby) and because of that Emby sends multicast traffic to tun0 (to tunnel) - not to LAN interface and thats why my client from Centos couldn't discover Emby (Samsung TV either). After disabling VPN client on Ubuntu, Emby came back to LAN again! :) and all started working :)

So apologize for making confusion here because of my post but on the other hand it could be valuable for others.

Anyway I stayed with one unsolved issue with that VPN client. Do you know any way how to run VPN client on same Linux server and Emby ? (I turned on listening by Emby on just one LAN IP by setting it in web interface but Emby still sends multicast to than VPN tun0 interface).

wrkilu

Last answer in that topic to provide solution or rather workaround with running OpenVPN client on the same Linux server. 

So how to cause to both Emby server and VPN client could work together without problems ? Answer: I noticed if Emby starting first before VPN client it "remembers" network interfaces and even VPN client is run later and add next interface, Emby sends multicast only to LAN interface still - not to new tun. So... to manage starting both of them in correct order I've created startup script which consist:

#!/bin/bash

systemctl start emby-server
sleep 30

systemctl start openvpn

Then its need to add yet running it after OS start so I've added following line to cron on root:

@@reboot /path/to/script

Thats all, cheers