Chromecast For Dummies

Heckler

Heckler

I've done some reading on the subject and I just want to clarify that what I am planning doing will work.

Buy a chromecast dongle and put it in the HDMI slot on the bedroom TV.

Use my Tesco Hudl with MB app

Hit the little android icon and tell it to stream whatever I want to play to the TV.

I know this method works from the tablet with MBC in MC as I use it quite a lot, sometimes it's easier to browse for what you want on the tablet.

I just need to know for certain that it works the same way for the chromecast... I'm kinda sure it does, but the budget at the moment is still paying of the media server rebuild and I can't afford to waste £30... which would be better used going towards replacing the washer/dryer which is on it's last legs.

Also... what happens when the program/movie finishes?

With my htpc, once a show ends the screen saver kicks in 5 mins later, then shuts of the screen after 10 mins... once my TV detects there's no signal it switches to standby after a minute or two.  This is very handy as I often fall asleep watching a movie and am not woken up by the glare of the TV during the night. 

Will the chromecast stop displaying anything when it stops receiving the stream so my TV can switch itself off.

• Like 1

CBers

The icon us the cast-to icon, but you are correct I everything else.

When playback stops, the TV will display the receiver page, the same as it does when you first connect.

Sometimes, you may have to disconnect, reboot the CC (via CC app, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.chromecast.app) and reconnect.

Doesn't happen often, but just a heads-up.

MMake sure you have the Transcoding setting in the Dashboard set to the highest setting that your PC can transcode at. Mine is set to MAX QUALITY.

Edited by CBers

Menissalt

After playback the TV won't shut off because Chromecast is constantly sending a signal to your TV, if nothing is connected then it cycles through a variety of pre-set photos.

Sometimes, you may have to disconnect, reboot the CC (via CC app, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.chromecast.app) and reconnect.

Doesn't happen often, but just a heads-up.

If you go to the app settings for MB and disable "Show Notifications" it vastly improves stability. Aside from that, you can simply force stop the MB app rather than rebooting the CC, save you some hassle.

CBers

If you go to the app settings for MB and disable "Show Notifications" it vastly improves stability. Aside from that, you can simply force stop the MB app rather than rebooting the CC, save you some hassle.

Not sure why you would do that and not sure it would make an difference to stability.

Which device are you using the app on?

Menissalt

I just tried it on a whim and it did work. I'm using it on a Note II, S4, Tab 3 7", and an OG Xoom running CM. This helped on all devices, I don't have to force close the app due to unresponsiveness nearly as often. 

::EDIT::

It has been pointed out that I left some information out about this. It only helps when streaming to a chromecast.

Edited by Menissalt

Heckler

OK, that's a shame about it not going into standby mode so the TV can switch off.

That's the one thing that's stopping me from ordering one today.