Synology DS418Plus 4k Buffering

Leyst

Hello,

I have a Synology DS418Plus and a samsung Q90R TV.

When I try to play 4K HDR movies locally It keeps buffering every few secs. 

Is there a way to fix this?

Locally should'nt be determined by my internet speed or does my internet speed still matter? 

FrostByte

If using the Samsung client try selecting the AC3 track (if there is one) in the mkv .  For some reason the app buffers like that converting TrueHD/Atmos to AC3.

Edited by FrostByte

If using the Samsung client try selecting the AC3 track (if there is one) in the mkv .  For some reason the app buffers like that converting TrueHD/Atmos to AC3.

I tested 2x 4k movies for 2mins and changing it to 5,1 seems to work!!!! Thank you! 

Is it because my TV is 5.1 and its trying to transcode from 7.1 to 5.1 so its buffering?

If you play something that the TV doesn't support, then yes transcoding would be needed in that case.

FrostByte

I tested 2x 4k movies for 2mins and changing it to 5,1 seems to work!!!! Thank you! 

Is it because my TV is 5.1 and its trying to transcode from 7.1 to 5.1 so its buffering?

It's not just the number of channels.  Your TV itself doesn't support TrueHD at all which is why it's transcoding.

https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2019-tv-video-specifications

Edited by FrostByte