Serious Recording Issues

mark-in-dallas
Go to solution Solved by softworkz,

• Solution

Hi Mark,

thanks again for letting us test using your streams.

I was able to reproduce the problem now, that means I know how it's happening but I don't exactly know why as there are a number of possible causes.

What happens is this:

• IP TV plans have a limit with regards to concurrent streams. In your case it's 2 streams at a time
  • Most IPTV providers are enforcing that limit in a way that when you're already receiving the number of allowed streams, they'll reject requests for additional streams
  • In your case, the provider's behavior is different: If you request a stream beyond your limit, it simply drops the connection of an existing stream
  • Right now, Emby implements some (rather trivial) looping behavior. When the stream gets disconnected, it simply tries to reconnect.
    Your provider is keeping a buffer for streaming (probably about 20s), that's why you're running into those repetition loops: Emby is reconnecting and redownloading the last 20s.
    If it does that frequently, it can easily blow up a recording from 1 GB (expected) to 10 GB

I was able to reproduce that behavior by increasing the stream limit in Emby from 2 to 3 and starting to watch 3 live channels at the same time.

What I can't say for sure is why it is happening even though you have configured a limit of only 2 streams on your server.

There can be several reasons:

1. Emby Server is performing requests too quickly without properly accounting for the streams limit
    In the logs you have sent us, there's always just two streams working against each other, so I'm not sure if it's caused by Emby
  2. What we can't control is when streams are consumed from elsewhere, that's why we need to think about the following:
    • Have you configured any other software or applications to use those streams?
    • Have you handed out your stream access details to anybody else that might use it?
    • This one is a bit embarrassing:
      • We're still letting users post their logs in the forums without providing any way to remove private data
      • The logs you've posted are including your personal credentials for accessing the IPTV streams
      • So it's possible that you're account has been compromised and is already listed on some "Free IPTV" piracy website

First of all I'd recommend you to have your password changed for the IPTV service.

Then you should update only Emby server with the new credentials to make sure nobody else is using the streams.

If you would still encounter this problem, please report back, then we'll have to look whether there's also a problem with Emby.

• Like 1

mark-in-dallas

Thanks softworkz, that makes perfect sense!  I am not using the Streams in any other applications or on any other devices, but it is possible that it has been compromised, and that the issue has been so random does lead me to believe that could be the case.

Should I need to upload the server logs in the future, I will be sure to use Search and Replace to blank out the password before attaching the file.

Thank you for your help in troubleshooting and identifying the issue!