Question about 4k passthrough

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

Hey guys. I am hoping someone has experience with what I am running into and can comment.

Here is my setup:

Nvidia Shield (or Xbox One S) running via HDMI cable to an Onkyo Reciever (TX-SR353) and then out from there to my Samsung 4K TV. 

When I press the "info" button on my TV remote it will show me at what resolution the screen is giving me and whether it is UHD, HDR and what refresh rate it is. 

I know that my TV will upscale 1080 content to 4K, as will my receiver. I can't seem to find a setting on my receiver to turn up-scaling off and just let it passthrough to the TV so that it will handle the upscaling. It may already be doing that and I don't know how to tell if it is or not.

I am getting frustrated because I can't tell what in my chain of devices is doing what and I want everything just to pass through regarding the video. 

When I watch something via Emby sometimes the info button for the TV is showing me it's playing back at 1080 resolution and sometimes at 4K but I can't seem to control whether it does that or not. 

When I play a 4K file it does show me it's playing back in 4K resolution. 

When I play 1080 content back via the Xbox is does show it's playing at 4K resolution so I guess one of the devices is properly up-scaling.

Can anyone tell me how to figure out what device in the chain is doing what and how to set it up so the TV does the work?

I have tried Google searches, my device manuals but I feel lost on some of this stuff. 

You might not be able to control it. It might just vary based on what you're playing.

jasonmcroy

Maybe. I was thinking that too, except that sometimes, depending on the device I am playing from (Shield or Xbox), it will display 1080 sometimes and sometimes not playing the same file from the same app. 

I have even connected the devices directly to the TV with similar results. 

Guest asrequested

It isn't going to be that simple. Most devices have the potential to upscale. Some will detect the display's native resolution and automatically scale to that. Others will respect the source material. They will all have differing abilities to scale, well. 

jasonmcroy

It isn't going to be that simple. Most devices have the potential to upscale. Some will detect the display's native resolution and automatically scale to that. Others will respect the source material. They will all have differing abilities to scale, well. 

Ok, that makes sense. 

I guess there is no way to control what device in the chain is up-scaling? Maybe that is what my question boils down to. That is what I want to control.

Guest asrequested

With those devices, I don't recommend trying to control it. Just let them do what the native option is. I don't know how the Xbox does things, but the shield has HDMI options, but I recommend leaving it on auto.

• Like 1

I recommend leaving your Shield at 1080 and turning on the auto refresh rate switching (which, actually, is auto display mode switching).  That way, you're sure the Shield isn't upscaling your 1080 content, hopefully, leaving it to the TV (assuming the receiver doesn't muck with it) but, when you play an actual 4K item, the app will switch the Shield to 4K mode and pass that through.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

I recommend leaving your Shield at 1080 and turning on the auto refresh rate switching (which, actually, is auto display mode switching).  That way, you're sure the Shield isn't upscaling your 1080 content, hopefully, leaving it to the TV (assuming the receiver doesn't muck with it) but, when you play an actual 4K item, the app will switch the Shield to 4K mode and pass that through.

Thanks! I will play around with that over the weekend to see what results I get. 

I think it is odd that the receiver doesn't have an exact option to specifically turn upscaling on or off. It just has a setting for HDMI to change it from 4:4:4 to 4:4:0. So I never really know if it's just passing the signal through or messing with it somehow as it goes through. 

I know in the manual for my AVR it says that it will upscale to UHD and passthrough HDR (it doesn't do anything with that content) so that makes it confusing to me. I would sort of assume if I am watching a 4K rip with HDR it would pretty much pass all that through, but in that scenario it doesn't really matter since I am not trying to upscale a 1080p resolution. 

I will keep playing with this.