Code Of Conduct

Tikuf

Code Of Conduct  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to a developer who uses source without permission?

• Don't care - No Action
    • Prevent dev promoting the offending item in this forum.
    • Prevent Dev using the mediabrowser logo/name.
    • Ban Dev.
    • Warn Dev and remove (if applicable) from plugin catalogue.
    • 2 & 3
    • 2 & 3 & 4
    • 2 & 3 & 5

Tikuf
I have been with media browser 3 almost since its inception and have been with mediabrowser fo many years prior to that. Of late I have noticed some things that don't quite sit right with me.

I have seen over the last year serveral instances of devs taking code from other devs and treating it as their own to do with as they please.

1 instance of a free client's source being used as a base for a paid client without the permission of the original writer.

1 instance of a paid plugin's source being used to produce a free plugin.

1 instance of a paid plugin's source being used as a base for other paid plugins.

These are the ones I know of there may well be more.

All three instances I find abhorrent and unacceptable. I would like to gauge the community as to what they think should happen to the offenders. With that in mind I have created this poll.

Let me be clear that this thread is not designed to name names nor is it designed to be a slinging match - which is why this is a poll only topic.

What I would like to achieve is to put in place a set of actions (as voted by the community) to combat any future instances of what is in effect outright theft.

This poll is not in any way sanctioned by the management and will most likely be deleted.

I feel rather than sweep it under the carpet this needs to be open and transparent if you do X then Y will happen.

Edited by Tikuf
  • Like 1

In terms of how we've handled these situations.

If the source is closed it's not ok. So far we've taken action once in regards to new software that was introduced by someone who based their code on closed source code.

If the source is open, then it depends on the license. If the code is used within the terms of the license, then it's ok, otherwise it's not. We've handled a situation in which open source code was utilized in a manner which violated the license.

• Like 4