"Convert Media" takes forever withh GPU only using 4%

JeremyG

JeremyG

Going on vacation and decided to use Emby to download some movies onto my Surface Pro.    I usually just copy the movie files, but since i bought a video card for my server capable of transcoding with NVENC I figured I'd them down a bit and probably save battery life while watching them (less decoding)

Seemed like it was taking a long time to download, so I checked Emby dashboard and saw that it was converting very slowly. (like 0.1 % every 10 seconds)   Remoted into the server and its definitely using the GPU as I can see from task manager GPU is in use by ffmpeg process,  however it's maxing out at 4% of the GPU for some reason and I dont understand why.

You'd think if it could just max out the GPU while converting, it would be done 20x faster than it is now (and it has been taking HOURS to convert 3 movies)

Edited by JeremyG

JeremyG

Here's one.  I notice it says "Speed 1x" during most of the decoding part of the log file.  Does that mean even though I clicked "download" it's just converting it "on the fly" as if I was watching it?

Log.txt

Edited by JeremyG

Go into sync settings on the server and enable full speed conversion. That should speed it up.

• Like 1

JeremyG

I have to get to bed now so I can get up for my flight.  But some weird behavior after I allowed full-speed conversion:

1. ​ffmpeg is no longer using GPU at all
  2. GPU is now used by WUDFHost.exe and dwm.exe  (though I'm RDP'ed in) Totally of 6% GPU usage between them
  3. It is converting faster now...but not as fast as I would think?  Looks like my cureent movie will take like 30 minutes to convert down to 4mbps
  4. I can no longer access the "Settings" for Sync in my server.   I can click it but page never refreshes with the settings. (just shows whatever was last drawn)

• 1 month later...
bizarro252

Go into sync settings on the server and enable full speed conversion. That should speed it up.

Thanks for this, was looking around everywhere to see why it seemed to be throttling my conversions - this let all cores ramp right up (CPU only in my case).