Nvidia Shield Emby App Not Seeing Local Server - Works on Everything Else

Oohdang

Oohdang

First off, apologies if this is the wrong pIace.  Emby has always worked flawlessly for me so I've never had any reason to come here looking for help...

So here is my problem.  I have 2 Nvidia Shield's and neither are seeing my local server (running on Ubuntu in a docker container).  I've tried signing into Emby connect and I've tried entering the IP manually.  Weird thing is, I have 2 Fire TV's that see it no problem, can get to it through Google Chrome on my laptop running Windows 10 no problem, the Emby app on my both of my Samsung TV's also see it just fine.  My dad is able to remote connect with an Xbox One without issue as well.

Here's the kicker - I installed Kodi on the Shield's and the Emby addon for Kodi sees the server just fine.  I think I've isolated it to the specific Emby app from the Google Play store on the Nvidia Shield (latest system software).  Is this a known issue?  Anyone have any ideas?  This has got me stumped. 

I considered just using Kodi, but my wife really likes the app on the Shield and it is a big enough deal to her to have it be a big headache for me.

Edited by Oohdang

Hi.  Can you please explain exactly what not "seeing" the server means?

What are you doing and what happens?

Thanks.

Oohdang

Hi.  Can you please explain exactly what not "seeing" the server means?

What are you doing and what happens?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply!  I'm not sure how exactly to describe the problem any better, so I'll take some pictures to try to illustrate what I mean.  

This is what happens when I use Emby on any other device, my server is detected and I can select it:

5d0ad494bc01e_IMG_20190619_201230.jpg

When I use the Nvidia Sheld(s), it prompts me to log in to Emby Connect via a pin number.  As you can see by this screenshot, I successfully logged into Emby Connect via the supplied pin:

5d0ad692a9fbf_Screenshot_20190619200722.

This is what it looks like after logging into Emby Connect on my Nvidia Shield:

5d0ad4fe5531c_IMG_20190619_200758.jpg

As you can see, I am logged into Emby Connect but there is no server.  I can enter the IP manually but it still looks exactly like this screen. 

Entering the IP instead of using Emby Connect works on every other device as well.

I've tried factory resetting to no avail.  I'm not sure what to do next.

Hi there, have you linked your server with Emby Connect? What you're describing sounds like you have not done that.

Please see the "Guide for Administrators" section of our Emby Connect wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Emby-Connect#guide-for-administrators

Have you completed steps 1-4 listed there?

Oohdang

Hi there, have you linked your server with Emby Connect? What you're describing sounds like you have not done that.

Please see the "Guide for Administrators" section of our Emby Connect wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Emby-Connect#guide-for-administrators

Have you completed steps 1-4 listed there?

Hi Luke. I have done that and I've got 6 devices all connected to my server via Emby connect working fine. Have been for over a year. 4 local connections and 2 remote currently. 3 Amazon Fire TV's, 1 Xbox One, 2 Google Pixel's. I also had success connecting via Google chrome from a Windows 10 machine and a Samsung smart TV.

The reason I attempted to connect via manually entering the IP on the Nvidia shield is because for an unknown reason Emby Connect was not working on the Nvidia Shield specifically. As it turns out neither is connecting via IP address. What happens is in the picture in my last post (where you can clearly see I'm logged into emby connect and no server is appearing). I verified connecting via IP is working on other devices and that is shown in the other picture. I tried factory resetting the Nvidia Shield without success. I tried buying a brand new Nvidia Shield and I have the exact same issue persisting across 2 Nvidia Shield devices. I successfully got Emby for Kodi connected to my server via Emby Connect on the Nvidia Shields which is why leaning towards the Emby App being installed by the Google Play store on the Shield being the culprit.

Problem is the wife factor. Loves the Nvidia shield app. Hates Kodi, too complicated.

Edited by Oohdang

On one of those login screens in the app is there a "Send Logs" button?  If so, can you please press it and then tell me exactly what time you did that?

Thanks.