Emby for android TV black screen on non Android TV OS

spuderico

spuderico

Hey everyone, I just got the new beelink gt King android TV box running android 9

901k0

I can use emby for android absolutely fine but doesn't work very well with my remote and its not as good looking on mg big TV as emby for android TV is...

The problem is when I Download emby for android TV I can load the app and log in and then select my server but after that all I get is a black screen and the mouse curser... No matter what I do I can't seem to get anything else... This is only for the emby for android TV app

The app works fine on my minix box and fine on my Samsung s8 so not sure what's going on with the box..

I don't know how to save or send these error report things so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi.  Based on the launcher, I can see that box is not running Android TV so it is probably missing components our TV app depends on.  That app does require a true Android TV OS - meaning your launcher should look like this:

5d024fcb0816d_launcher.png

NOT this:

Review-Beelink-GT-King-Android-TV-Box-S9

spuderico

So why can my minix box running android 7 and my Samsung phone running android 9 that are both not android TV os run emby for android TV just fine using the standard launcher.... It makes no sense.. Its not that its not running native android TV os becuase the other devices are also not running that but the app works fine

clarkss12

Superceleron from Freaktab created a modded Android TV OS port for the "KING".  It uses the Emby TV app perfectly.  However, this box is sorely lacking in the stock firmware.  It is easy to flash this modded firmware for testing, and if you don't like it, there is the stock firmware available, so you can go back to it.

Here is my video, showing how Emby runs on Superceleron's ATV mod....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3citAe8Nwg&t=48s

clarkss12

Also, CoreELEC will be coming out with a firmware for it, and it will KICK butt..............  CoreELEC running on these Amlogic boxes, play EVERYTHING that you can throw at it, including all the HD audio codecs..  It even supports automatic framerate switching.  I received my "KING" about 3 weeks ago, and it was horrible, as a media player, to say to least.  I have been waiting for the CoreELEC port, so I can run the Embuary skin on it.  Keep an eye out for this CoreELEC port for the "KING", and you will be more than pleased if you intend to use this box as a media player.

Here is what Embuary will look like running on your "KING".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FQGuesEwi0

• Like 1

So why can my minix box running android 7 and my Samsung phone running android 9 that are both not android TV os run emby for android TV just fine using the standard launcher.... It makes no sense.. Its not that its not running native android TV os becuase the other devices are also not running that but the app works fine

There is really no way to know exactly what is included or not included in those off-brand Android forks - not to mention what is actually supported in the hardware.  Some of them very well may work.

But, if you see that launcher, you can be sure it isn't a certified Android TV implementation.

If you can repeat the issue and then give me an exact time you did this as well as the name of the server you connected to, I can see if a log was sent to us.

spuderico

@clarks12 I have kodi running with the embuary skin in leia at the moment, sorry yo sound stupid but what would the difference being running embuary through kodi and android vs through core Elec? Thanks for help man!

clarkss12

@clarks12 I have kodi running with the embuary skin in leia at the moment, sorry yo sound stupid but what would the difference being running embuary through kodi and android vs through core Elec? Thanks for help man!

It depends on what media you have, and hardware that you used to display your media.  IF you have a 4k TV/Monitor AND/OR a surround sound system, and IF you have any BlueRay or 4k movie rips, then they should have HD audio.   The KING using the native Android OS only supports DD and DTS, not DTS-HD MA, DD TrueHD, etc.  Also, the King does NOT support auto framerate refresh.

CoreELEC IS Kodi Leia, but running under a scaled down Linux.......  It supports everything......

spuderico

It depends on what media you have, and hardware that you used to display your media.  IF you have a 4k TV/Monitor AND/OR a surround sound system, and IF you have any BlueRay or 4k movie rips, then they should have HD audio.   The KING using the native Android OS only supports DD and DTS, not DTS-HD MA, DD TrueHD, etc.  Also, the King does NOT support auto framerate refresh.

CoreELEC IS Kodi Leia, but running under a scaled down Linux.......  It supports everything......

Ahh got it!  nice one thanks for that. Literally all my media is emby, 4k, hd audio etc, you name it, the best quality it can be its there on the server. kodi does ok just not up to it sometimes, emby for android tv + mx player is my go to but just annoying that it didnt work... going to give the rom you suggested a go today, just need to go buy a USB male to male cable as i only have a bunch of the normal usb to mini usbs ....

thanks for your help again. hopefully all will be well after i get this new rom installed. I will keep my eyes open for the coreELEC too. 

clarkss12

Ahh got it!  nice one thanks for that. Literally all my media is emby, 4k, hd audio etc, you name it, the best quality it can be its there on the server. kodi does ok just not up to it sometimes, emby for android tv + mx player is my go to but just annoying that it didnt work... going to give the rom you suggested a go today, just need to go buy a USB male to male cable as i only have a bunch of the normal usb to mini usbs ....

thanks for your help again. hopefully all will be well after i get this new rom installed. I will keep my eyes open for the coreELEC too. 

Take 2 of those USB cables and make your own Male to Male USB cable.  I made my own and it works fine.   Just cut off the ends that you don't need, and strip and twist the 4 or 6 wires inside the outside sheath, and tape them.  I think you will enjoy the port created by Superceleron.

Male to male USB cable from Gearbest..... $1.69 USD with free shipping.  Takes about 10 days to ship to the US, not sure which county you live.

https://www.gearbest.com/cables-connectors/pp_009298937892.html?wid=1433363

Edited by clarkss12

spuderico

Take 2 of those USB cables and make your own Male to Male USB cable.  I made my own and it works fine.   Just cut off the ends that you don't need, and strip and twist the 4 or 6 wires inside the outside sheath, and tape them.  I think you will enjoy the port created by Superceleron.

Male to male USB cable from Gearbest..... $1.69 USD with free shipping.  Takes about 10 days to ship to the US, not sure which county you live.

https://www.gearbest.com/cables-connectors/pp_009298937892.html?wid=1433363

got usb cable, cant get usb burn tool to notice the king... tried all the tricks with the plugging in when eyes are green etc.  but no joy? any ideas?

clarkss12

my pc literally only has usb 3 ports also

I updated my "King" twice, the first time, it connected with the burning tool right away.  The second time (installing ATV port) was a real pain.  You should at least "hear" your box connect to your computer, if so, then it is just not connecting to the burn tool.

Just keep trying, it will eventually connect to the tool.  Don't worry about the color of the eyes.........  Plug the male USB cable into your box and wait for about 10 seconds to see if it connects to your box, THEN plug in the power cable....  It took me several tries before it connected to the tool.

spuderico

ok so my pc only has usb 3.0 when i plug the box into the computer i get no sound, nothing at all ... 

ive tried box off, plugged in then box on - no sound

tried box on then plug in ... no sound 

gonna keep playing around, even just to get a plugged in sound alert from windows at this point would be something 

spuderico

I updated my "King" twice, the first time, it connected with the burning tool right away.  The second time (installing ATV port) was a real pain.  You should at least "hear" your box connect to your computer, if so, then it is just not connecting to the burn tool.

Just keep trying, it will eventually connect to the tool.  Don't worry about the color of the eyes.........  Plug the male USB cable into your box and wait for about 10 seconds to see if it connects to your box, THEN plug in the power cable....  It took me several tries before it connected to the tool.

not sure why im not even getting a sound out of it when i plug in, seems like its not just the tool then?  could it be that the pc only has usb 3.0

clarkss12

not sure why im not even getting a sound out of it when i plug in, seems like its not just the tool then?  could it be that the pc only has usb 3.0

Yes, that could be the reason........  Also, make sure you are installing the drivers from the USB Burning Tool.  Uninstall the app, then reinstall it, make sure you are using USB Burning Tool version  2.1.7.0, it will install the drivers again.

Might be better to take this discussion to the Freaktab forum.

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s922x/others-s922x/firmware-roms-tools-dq/773927-new-firmware-beelink-gt-king-2019-05-27?p=774011#post774011

Edited by clarkss12