Streaming to outside devices

altramarine

altramarine

Hi there,

I've been a happy Media Browser 3 member for a few months now. It took me a month or so to clean up my media, get appropriate addons,etc.

I would like to take this up a notch and have this beautiful library of mine available to my PC(windows 7) at work, Nexus 7, ipad mini when i am on the road.

Is Media Browser able to accommodate this?

My Media Browser server is running on an older PC with dual 4-core Xeons (2.5Ghz) and 16GB of RAM. This should be plenty of power for transcoding,

Does Media Browser server transcode?

I have a few friends that run Plex server for that purpose and swear by it. I could try installing Plex alongside Media Browser but not sure whether Plex will ruin my MB3 database.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Yes, MB will stream and transcode (if necessary) to your outside devices.

The server dashboard gives you the address to use to access it from outside your network.

• Like 1

altramarine

Thank you Sir! That's perfect!

For a windows 7 PC, Would Theater or Classic be a better fit?

I use Theater on my TV at home which makes sense, but for a stand alone PC?

Tim Hobbs

It is also useful to get some sort of dynamic dns service like no-ip. Unless you have a static IP, your IP may change occasionally and using a dyndns service will give you an easy to remember domain.

• Like 1

altramarine

Yup, got dynamic dns setup - thank you!. Forwarded the default port on my router and my iPhone is now connected! whoohoo!

I tried playing a show over 3G. Does MB adjust quality automatically depending on the connection? or it strictly adheres to the settings selected (64Kbit for cellular, etc.)

Also, one more probably a very dumb question: Is SSL something considered viable when streaming? or its not even an option because it would butcher the speed.

Thank you once again!

MrWebsmith

at work i simply use the web client for 99% of my needs.. this lets me both watch/enjoy my media as well as managing new additions or fixing up metadata with the built in editor 

i have also taken my surface pro and run both MBT and the Win8 app from work's network as well... the greatest thing about mb3 right now is all the flexibility we get from the suite of clients already there.

my parents use a roku at their house to connect to my home's server as well... love it..

and yea.. +1 to using a service like no-ip for dns... works great in my usage

• Like 1

altramarine

Holy crap! Just tested Web Client, and it is flawless! i never even thought about it.

Forget Plex:)

This community is beyond awesome! Thank you guys so much!

• Like 1

Holy crap! Just tested Web Client, and it is flawless! i never even thought about it.

Forget Plex:)

This community is beyond awesome! Thank you guys so much!

Thanks for the nice words, well one.

Test the web client more and what it truly can do, I am sure you will be wonder the true power of MB3 :)

• Like 1

altramarine

Thanks for the nice words, well one.

Test the web client more and what it truly can do, I am sure you will be wonder the true power of MB3 :)

To be honest, I cannot contain my excitement! The possibilities! I am even bit shamed for looking at another solution, when the real gem was under my feet. I started using MB December 2013 and the amount of improvement that has gone in is just mind boggling. Makes me in a selfish kind of way proud to be a member. i will invest the time to go through all the new features that have been implemented since last i checked the settings. The fact that people take the time to answer a possibly chewed up post like mine with USEFUL and non-condescending comments is just an icing on a cake.

Enough mumbo, just wanted to spill my gratitude! 

• Like 5

Tim Hobbs

Yup, got dynamic dns setup - thank you!. Forwarded the default port on my router and my iPhone is now connected! whoohoo!

I tried playing a show over 3G. Does MB adjust quality automatically depending on the connection? or it strictly adheres to the settings selected (64Kbit for cellular, etc.)

Also, one more probably a very dumb question: Is SSL something considered viable when streaming? or its not even an option because it would butcher the speed.

Thank you once again!

You can choose the quality by clicking the little gear looking icon in the video player of the web client if needed. Not sure how to change quality in the iOS app though, but I'd imagine there is something.

Also, just in case you did not think of it, the speeds to the "outside" world will depend on your upload speed. If you are on DSL like me, you may be sad to find that the upload speed is lacking.

• Like 1

"well one" should be "well done"

I need to change this keyboard after all :)

altramarine

You can choose the quality by clicking the little gear looking icon in the video player of the web client if needed. Not sure how to change quality in the iOS app though, but I'd imagine there is something.

Also, just in case you did not think of it, the speeds to the "outside" world will depend on your upload speed. If you are on DSL like me, you may be sad to find that the upload speed is lacking.

Thanks! I've found the settings gear in the webclient and iOS AND the option on the server that states "Automatic" for Transcoding.

I've also quickly summoned a few of my friends at work (the ones that advocated Plex) and finally they had nothing to say but "that's cool" instead of "yah, but...". Bragging rights challenge is mine for today it seems.

Good point about the upstream, cannot have everything in this life but I am content with what it is.