inactivity timeout

hooray4me

hooray4me

My wife complained about this today. When logged in to emby on the fire tv stick, the timeout during paused or inactivity is way to short before the app exits back to the firestick homescreen. Is this configurable somehow?

Hi.  The problem specifically with the Fire devices is that they have about a 20 minute time out for the device going to sleep.  I don't believe this is configurable either.  If the device goes to sleep with our app running, when it wakes back up, our app will have crashed and you will be stuck.

Therefore, on these devices, we have to lock our time out to something just under this 20 minute mark.

The other Android TV devices do not have this problem.

hooray4me

This has been much less than 20 minutes. Like 5 minutes. I already connected via adb and disabled the auto sleep "feature." I can leave an app like SiriusXM opened and paused all day. The same doesn't work for emby. I'm going to test now on a firestick in my office and then the Toshiba FireTv Edition tv in the living room.

It appears to only affect the Toshiba FireTV edition tv.

Exactly what only affects that device?

As I said, all Fire TV devices will force a logoff before 20 minutes.

hooray4me

This appears to be something specific to the Toshiba Fire TV Edition tv with Fire TV built in... if a show is paused or you idle on the screen for more than a couple minutes, it exits out of the app back to the Amazon home screen.

This appears to be something specific to the Toshiba Fire TV Edition tv with Fire TV built in... if a show is paused or you idle on the screen for more than a couple minutes, it exits out of the app back to the Amazon home screen.

Interesting.  Can you put a watch on it and determine exactly how long?

hooray4me

Just spoke with wife again, she updated her complaint. Its not when it is paused, its when it is idle only. Currently waiting out the "idle" time to see what it ends up being. Will report back shortly.

hooray4me

Solved. Stupid Fire TV software... It somehow reset my custom sleep timer to 480000 (8 minutes) 

settings get secure sleep_timeout

updating it should solve my problems. Thanks!

Yep, your log confirms that.

06-11 13:20:33.607 26759 26759 I System.out: Logging off because device is asleep

Thanks for the investigation.