Scanning media folders problems

aerospyke
Go to solution Solved by aerospyke,

aerospyke

Hi all,

I have just migrated to MB3 and my media folders never finishes scanning. In the dashboard it is ALWAYS showing 49.3% and the Library tab just shows "last result "scan aborted from server shutdown"".... but I haven't shut my server down in days, and the scan library button is greyed out. I have tried telling the client to update library and it says it starts but nothing happens and it has been 2 days.

Any help? Kinda annoying when I cannot get my metadata, posters, anything working :-(

Beardyname

Check the logs, or at least attach them so investigations can be made :)

located in C:\users\usernamegoeshere\appdata\roaming\mediabrowser-server\logs

aerospyke

I have the latest log file.... I'm guessing I can't attach a file directly to this post as I can't find the button that would let me. Do I need to use an external hosting service? If so any suggestions?

Yogi

Click the More Reply Options button down the bottom right and then it will take you to the next screen as below.In that screen there is an attach file button.

537de8fdc5648_Untitled.png

Edited by Yogi

aerospyke

Sorry figured out why i couldn't attach files. Quick reply no go, reply to thread, WIN

EDIT: Sorry, YOGI wins

server-63536390325.txt

Edited by aerospyke

Beardyname

If you check the area under "Scheduled Tasks" what does it say about "Scan Media Library" there ? I just noticed mine is doing kinda the same thing, but is stuck on a percentage even though the Scheduled Tasks area says its fine :) I'm not missing any data so i figured its doing fine.

aerospyke

My scheduled tasks shows it as running at 49.3% also. Saw this so I am trusting the current dashboard page more than anything as it corroborates this result. I'm not sure if my logs are being misread but I don't see a completed "scan library" so I assume that it is correct that it is still running and not just a UI glitch?

That log is filled with a bunch of interactions from clients while this is going on.

Can you please, re-start the server and let it sit until it gets hung at that point - don't access it with any clients - including the web client.  Then attach that log.  Thanks.

aerospyke

I have 3 entries in my media library. a TV folder, a movies folder and a kids folder (mix of kids tv and movies). When I remove the TV, the library scan works. When I re-add it in, it hangs again. Even if I remove the other two and just have TV, so it is hanging on my TV series folders... which admittedly is rather large, but no indication of where.

Beardyname

Now I'm no expert on this and I'm gonna state that first so there is isn't any confusion :) However I am willing to help but it could be nothing more than guessing/shooting in the dark so If you have little to no time just ignore me and a dev will check back soon ^^

But! the only mention I could find in those logs of yours is to the show Homeland so maybe it's getting stuck on that for some reason ?

So try removing that and scan again and see if it gets any further :) (also restart the server or delete the logs so you get a fresh set of that as well)

aerospyke

Mate, you have my undivided attention. Will check back in when its done

Beardyname

Mate, you have my undivided attention. Will check back in when its done

Hahaha Just don't keep your fingers crossed ^^

Chillout

I have been having random scanning issues as well...

Sometimes the media shows up in all the folders and sometimes one or two of the folders are empty.  

Restarting the MB server or rebooting the computer usually fixes the problem or blanks out a different folder.

aerospyke

Yep, i've been watching the logs as it scans, and have had to find that I have many TV folders that stalls the scan. I'm up to 7 TV series, even current ones, like revenge and greys anatomy that it won't continue until I remove them.... oh and i'm still going!! (I have 122 folders in my TV folder)

aerospyke

HAHAHHAHAHA

OMG media browser you win the battle.... found the problem after all. After digging around, the issues are that it gets to trying to download one fan art or another and it hangs. I try the URL for the JPG and it won't load, but yet doing a DNS lookup worked. so thought I would VPN into work and try the URL there and it was fine! So I looked closer at my home network and found the IPS module on my firewall was playing up. Turned IPS off and VIOLA!!! everything scanned, my entire library in 44 seconds. HOORAY

We can close this mystery... I need a new firewall!

HAHAHHAHAHA

OMG media browser you win the battle.... found the problem after all. After digging around, the issues are that it gets to trying to download one fan art or another and it hangs. I try the URL for the JPG and it won't load, but yet doing a DNS lookup worked. so thought I would VPN into work and try the URL there and it was fine! So I looked closer at my home network and found the IPS module on my firewall was playing up. Turned IPS off and VIOLA!!! everything scanned, my entire library in 44 seconds. HOORAY

Excellent! We've had two other users that I'm aware of report the same thing. Can you elaborate a little more for people who might not know what all of that means? Thanks.

• Solution
aerospyke

Lol i thought it would be a bit network specific but ok. My network is behind a linksys/cisco firewall. Part of the security features is enabled an IPS module (intrusion protection system) that scans all network packets going in and out of my network. When enabled, my firewall was acting a bit whacky and blocking packets, even though they were consistant (it would always block certain URLs, like some particular jpgs on the tv database, or sometimes large downloads wouldn't work properly and would terminate early), there is no common denominator on what is effected. As soon as I turned off the IPS function, or at least removed the HTTP scanning feature, all of my problems here went away.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Beardyname

HAHAHHAHAHA

Glad you worked it out :)

• 2 weeks later...
Chillout

I am still having the same issues but do not use a cisco/linksys router/firewall...  

Occasionally an entire folder (ie. Action, Comedy, Drama) will be blank although there is stuff there.

Restarting the MB server software or computer usually fixes the problem, but sometimes the Action folder populates but Drama will be blank.

Restarting MB Server software: Drama is populated and Action is blank.

Restarting MB Server software: All folders are populated.

Tried adjusting the library for Path (G:\Action) or network (\\HTPC\ACTION) but it still happens.  I also run XBMC with the same folders and it never had a problem detecting the files in the same paths.

I know how to fix it, but for the family or guests who arent familiar with how to restart the server, it is a little annoying.

I am still having the same issues but do not use a cisco/linksys router/firewall...  

Occasionally an entire folder (ie. Action, Comedy, Drama) will be blank although there is stuff there.

Restarting the MB server software or computer usually fixes the problem, but sometimes the Action folder populates but Drama will be blank.

Restarting MB Server software: Drama is populated and Action is blank.

Restarting MB Server software: All folders are populated.

Tried adjusting the library for Path (G:\Action) or network (\\HTPC\ACTION) but it still happens.  I also run XBMC with the same folders and it never had a problem detecting the files in the same paths.

I know how to fix it, but for the family or guests who arent familiar with how to restart the server, it is a little annoying.

Best to start a new thread because your issue might be different. Please include all of the information requested here:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.