Steam in-home streaming now available

shaefurr

shaefurr

So I havnt tried it yet, but ill give it a go tomorrow and try and stream a game off my gaming PC to my lesser HTPC. Seems like a neat idea for a server/client setup if it works well. From what ive read it does work pretty seamlessly but is also quite dependent on your network setup. So I guess we'll have to see how it works over Wifi.

It seems easy enough to use, 

1. Log into Steam on your Windows* PC
2. Log into Steam on another computer on the same network
3. Visit your Steam library to start streaming between them

http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/

537d93c73d09c_steamstream.jpg

• Like 2

Beardyname

Makes my gaming HTPC a bit redundant now :P

I would say it depends on what you are playing, the latency/delay with this is gonna interfere. I can't imagine something like cs:go being used with this, for some games it will be fine and for others it will destroy the game completely.

techywarrior

I was playing bioshock last night to test this out and it worked really well. I have gigabit network in my house and both machines are on wired network.

No perceptible latency (less then a typical mmo)

The system isn't perfect yet that's for sure but it's pretty cool. Issues I ran into are that since its pushing a command to launch a game in the main PC it can't be locked. Also, it doesn't always close stream properly on the main PC when done.

What I would love now is to be able to change the links for these stream games to automatically launch in stream mode. I couldn't find a way to do that yet so I updated my game browser links to just launch stream in big window mode and then I can navigate to the game and launch (if I first unlock my main PC :) )

• Like 3

shaefurr

Just tried it over my terrible wifi (~60 mbps)... Yeah it doesnt work too well. Even Dead Pixels has some pretty bad latency issues. Aside from that it works good on my HTPC thats wired at 100mbps.