Friends cannot connect to my server

Guest keithcq71
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Guest keithcq71

I was able to connect.  I had to open TCP Port 8096 on my Windows Firewall. Thanks everyone for your help. 

• 1 year later...
Christianreed

I cant connect to my dads emby server. he can from his account on multiple different platforms but i cant connect to him on my pc

4 minutes ago, Christianreed said:

I cant connect to my dads emby server. he can from his account on multiple different platforms but i cant connect to him on my pc

Hi there, has he tested and verified remote access for his server? He should do that on his own before inviting others. What exactly happens when you try to connect?

Christianreed
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, has he tested and verified remote access for his server? He should do that on his own before inviting others. What exactly happens when you try to connect?

Yeah he has others that also can  gain access. He can also gain access through many things, i was reading this forum and found that i need to let TCP Port 8096 in but i only have "tcp port 80"

Christianreed

Just now, Christianreed said:

Yeah he has others that also can  gain access. He can also gain access through many things, i was reading this forum and found that i need to let TCP Port 8096 in but i only have "tcp port 80"

is tcp  port 80 the same as 8096?

22 minutes ago, Christianreed said:

I needed to download the emby app, the website wont work anymore

Hi, what does "won't work anymore" mean? What happens when you try?

Christianreed

"Connection Failure

We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again." 

I use to be able to connect to the server through the browser not i cant anymore, thats the message that comes up, my dad has restarted the server many times and has removed me from it and added me back just to make sure it wasnt being dumb. But it never works on browser, only on the app in the pc app store

Connection Failure

We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again.

57 minutes ago, Christianreed said:

is tcp  port 80 the same as 8096?

Hi,

No they are not.  Emby only uses port 8096 for non encrypted traffic and 8920 for encrypted traffic.  You can setup using different ports on the router connected to the server but the outside port needs to port forward to 8096 (or 8920 for SSL).

This knowledge base article covers the setup and diagnostic procedure to figure out when it's not working correctly

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity