33 replies to this topic

#21 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131280 posts
  • Local time: 04:49 PM

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:21 PM

This should be improved in the next updates to the mobile apps. Thanks.

#22 kikinjo OFFLINE  

kikinjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 PM

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:29 PM

Only a log would show what Emby is doing.  

So you are saying that emby message stating reason for transcoding (bitrate too high) is not to be trusted ? :)

#23 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 14690 posts
  • Local time: 01:49 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:33 PM

So you are saying that emby message stating reason for transcoding (bitrate too high) is not to be trusted ? :)

Well sure at the time Emby decided the bitrate was to high for your network conditions.  Any number of factors could of happened at the time the media was playing.  So without 100% of the information it is impossible to truly know.  But to me I set a max and don't worry about auto doing what it wants to.

#24 kikinjo OFFLINE  

kikinjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 PM

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:38 PM

Well sure at the time Emby decided the bitrate was to high for your network conditions.  Any number of factors could of happened at the time the media was playing.  So without 100% of the information it is impossible to truly know.  But to me I set a max and don't worry about auto doing what it wants to.

Of course, just kidding. Well exactly same i did it, first i set maximum in emby andorid (100 mbit) but it did not make any difference at all, still got same message about bitrate. Than i switched to auto and got better

results but somehow results vary from time to time.

Cheers

#25 Wuast94 OFFLINE  

Wuast94

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:39 PM

There really isn't a lot of mystery to it.

The process can be improved but I don't really know how we could add much in the way of configuration settings on the server side to improve it.

for example set an minimum quality setting. I know how much upload I have and I know that I can set minimum 1080p at 25mbit without problems and with enough overhead. or change the speed of checks if it can higher or lower the quality. change the steps of mbit lower or higher. set offsets or disable check od cpu or gpu acceleration when settings exists like this.

or 

make the auto decisions so good that the quality is always the best as possible. because as I said at start and others too.. in the moment the auto decision is much much lower as it could be. 

#26 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 14690 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:46 PM

This must be a specific device/app issues as I do not see this behavior on a Roku or Web Browser.  Auto works 100% of the time on LAN, as for WAN I know my upload speed so have a set "Internet streaming bitrate limit".

#27 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45295 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

Auto works 100% of the time on LAN,

If you are on your local network, we don't even run the test.  We assume max quality.

#28 Wuast94 OFFLINE  

Wuast94

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:50 PM

This must be a specific device/app issues as I do not see this behavior on a Roku or Web Browser.  Auto works 100% of the time on LAN, as for WAN I know my upload speed so have a set "Internet streaming bitrate limit".

i set it to 50mbits and emby auto decision gives me only 720p at 1,5 mbit. don't know what you think but that's not nearly the quality it could be and not acceptable for me. and I testet it on different device and all have more download as my emby upload server have. 

#29 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 14690 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:54 PM

If you are on your local network, we don't even run the test.  We assume max quality.

This topic is about two different issues that appear have the same affect.  

So if @kikinjo is on a LAN where is the limitation coming from?  Is the device limiting the connection?

#30 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 14690 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:57 PM

i set it to 50mbits and emby auto decision gives me only 720p at 1,5 mbit. don't know what you think but that's not nearly the quality it could be and not acceptable for me. and I testet it on different device and all have more download as my emby upload server have. 

To me Luke's comment would apply to your situation.

#31 Wuast94 OFFLINE  

Wuast94

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:03 PM

an other idea .. could it be that the Speedtests are so short that the maximum connection speed could not be reached ? easy fix for this where to run longer and better/performanter speedtests or am I wrong at this ? 
but this not solve the live checks I think 

#32 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 14690 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:23 PM

an other idea .. could it be that the Speedtests are so short that the maximum connection speed could not be reached ? easy fix for this where to run longer and better/performanter speedtests or am I wrong at this ? 
but this not solve the live checks I think 

But your situation the device/app has already returned a hard limit.  So speedtest is somewhat irrelevant.

http://xx.xxxxxx.xx:...dec=ac3,mp3,aac&VideoBitrate=1116000&AudioBitrate=384000&AudioStreamIndex=1&TranscodingMaxAudioChannels=6&SegmentContainer=ts&SegmentLength=3&MinSegments=1&BreakOnNonKeyFrames=True&hevc-profile=Main,Main10&TranscodeReasons=AudioCodecNotSupported,ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

#33 Wuast94 OFFLINE  

Wuast94

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:24 PM

But your situation the device/app has already returned a hard limit.  So speedtest is somewhat irrelevant.

but I don't set any limit in my app or browser or server .. and the limits I set are much higher .. its all set to auto in my iOS app for example

Edited by Wuast94, 04 June 2019 - 02:27 PM.

#34 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 45295 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

I would wait and re-test with this.

Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Transcoding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users