Mixed Content Library Watched Status

moviefan

moviefan

I recently combined all of my documentary videos - both movies and TV series - into one combined mixed content library.

In general, everything has been working as expected.

I noticed a small oddity today, however.

For the TV series which I have previously watched, they show up in the view when watched status has been filtered out.

Upon entering the series, the watch status symbol is checked.  Then, after unchecking, confirming the dialog asking if I am sure I absolutely want to do it, checking again and confirming the same, exiting back out of the TV series, it is filtered out of the view.

Not sure what I am changing by doing this as the items were already watched previously.  But it is repeatable behavior that just seems strange.

Honestly not a huge deal but just figured I would point out this strange behavior.

moviefan

Hmmmm, not really.

The web app doesnt filter out watched series from a Mixed Content view period.  I can check status, uncheck it, whatever.  All TV series are always shown when Filter is set to unplayed regardless of their played status.

Happy2Play

Hmmmm, not really.

The web app doesnt filter out watched series from a Mixed Content view period.  I can check status, uncheck it, whatever.  All TV series are always shown when Filter is set to unplayed regardless of their played status.

I can reproduce that behavior in web client.

Right because it's only filtering on the actual items whereas series need to filter based on the watched status of their episodes.

This is where the dedicated TV content type will help you because it does this.

moviefan

But, if the series status is "Played", why would it not be filtered out when Unplayed is the filter?  If I hover over the series item, it has a red check mark on it.  It knows that the status of the series is played.  Why would it display it?

This seems like something that would be easy to fix and no reason not to.  Am I missing something?

Because we don't set status on the series, but rather we calculate it dynamically based on the episodes within that series. It requires a special filtering method which is only activated in the tv series view because we know you're looking at tv series.

moviefan

Okay well I guess this would be a feature request from me then.

Properly show watched status of TV series in Mixed Content libraries.  Having both TV Series Documentaries and Movies Documentaries combined into one library is much nicer from a view perspective.  Just wish this aspect would work without needing to create two separate libraries.

• 4 months later...

i cant understand why the mixed library if the mixed contend have these type of conflict kkk  and i agree is much better have the mixed contend for something like animes (where im having the same issue) animes sometimes have movies, and i put the movies of that animes in the same folder. i cant understand the checked green symbol to, why theres no chececk symbol in series? in the mixed contend, the filter doesnt work and the unwatched movies and already watched movies is the same desing so i have to check individualy with the mouse to check if there tittle is an serie watched or and unwatched movies (when theres and anime with 2 spinoff and like 3 movies is very dificult....) and i cant filter the library by the filter is something very anoing...

if the mixed contend already check the number of episodes and update the design dynamically i cant see why it cant set the watched status and the green checked symbol at same time...

Happy2Play

A design choice, is about the different views.  But when you do this combine view this is where your issue arises.

yes but the mixed content folder, is design for that.... so the folder should be programed to acount that, why you would do the mixed content, if it cant handle the mixed content? and i know the checked symbol is design choice, but the filter is not, i just mentioned it.

Edited by Pstump

We are constantly working on improving the display with more sorting and filtering options. Thanks for the feedback.

• 4 weeks later...
moviefan

A design choice, is about the different views.  But when you do this combine view this is where your issue arises.

While I understand fixing this is not a priority, I'd like to understand the specific scenario where a user has mixed content, and prefers to display watched content when explicitly selecting the filter to remove it?

moviefan

Yes that's a valid use case.

Can you help me understand the reason though?  if someone watches something why do they want the system to see it as unwatched?  How is this logical?  Why would it be the default behavior of the program?

Happy2Play

Why do you feel we show watched as unwatched?

5dced01a08b56_1.jpg

Because you can not tell that they are both watched, from a Mixed Content perspective.  Would be harder without the CA covers.

Edited by Happy2Play

moviefan

Thanks Happy2Play.

And not that you just cant tell if they are watched.

When I pull up the mixed content folder and one of the series has all of the shows watched, I'd like the filter to actually work.

That's what I am not understanding.  Why would someone prefer this filter not work for mixed content?

• 1 month later...

Please enable us to filter out watched content in mixed content libraries.

I created a mixed content library for my wife - she is not interested in (what is for her) the artificial distinction between TV series,  movies, mini-series, or movie franchises (two or more movies grouped in a folder).

When selecting "unplayed" as the filter, she is presented with nearly 70 items when in reality fewer than a dozen are actually "unplayed". This makes the filter, essentially, a useless feature.

Like others in this thread, I'm left wondering, "what is the point of showing played items (i.e., containers with nothing but played items) when I select *unplayed* items?"

Edited by aeleus

It's not that we're making a decision to take that away from you. There's just added complexity with that kind of filtering that the metadata-driven views don't have. So it's just not something we've looked at up to this point.