Emby & Qnap VPN

Jibest

Jibest

Firstly i'd like to say that my knowledge of VPN's is limited. I have also read through a few existing topics about Emby functioning behind a VPN & the recommendation seems to be to have the VPN provider issue a personal port number that can be used.

I'm using IpVanish which unfortunately does not allow this but i'm also wondering if there is not potentially another way.

I only want to use a VPN with Emby to allow some M3U tv channels to work. I do not therefore require all my Qnap network traffic to pass through the VPN.

When I turn the VPN on I lose remote access to Emby & also I lose remote access to the Qnap itself. I use a DDNS name which when the VPN is switched on gets changed to the VPN provided ip address, and so I have the same problem as Emby in that the port cannot pass through IPVanish servers.

What I am wondering is if I set the VPN to not be used as the local gateway on the Qnap can I instruct Emby to to still somehow use it?

This way the DDNS name does not change, the Qnap access does not break & hopefully the Emby remote access also does not break. But when Emby streams from the internet it uses the VPN to route the traffic? (Perhaps making use of the "Bind to local network address feature?)

I appreciate that this line of thinking may be way off the mark in how a VPN can work but figured it worth asking the question.

Thanks

When I turn the VPN on I lose remote access to Emby & also I lose remote access to the Qnap itself

You'll need to configure remote access in the VPN when it is turned on.

What I am wondering is if I set the VPN to not be used as the local gateway on the Qnap 

Give it a try. There's nothing to do to instruct Emby. 

Jibest

You'll need to configure remote access in the VPN when it is turned on.

I'm using QVPN 2.0 & see no option to configure remote access here (The NAS is a VPN client btw not a server)

I have made some progress though:

I enabled the VPN but it is not configured to be the default gateway. I then created a static route in the Qnap virtual switch with the destination of the streaming IP & surprisingly it listed the VPN profile so I could simply select it in the rule as the interface.

Once done I did a traceroute to the ip from the Qnap via SSH and confirmed the Static Route rule was working.

It all seems fine except that when I stream, the RX seems very low considering the amount of data it should be receiving (streaming video). There is a separate column for RxRate so its not simply just showing the speed.

Which begs the question is the data stream not coming back over the VPN interface? That doesn't seem likely to me but it is strange.....

I guess I will have to wait until the ISP blocks the ips to see if it still works (unless anyone knows another way to check\test)

Jibest

Well as suspected this wasn't working as i'd hoped. Seems the request was routed out over the VPN interface but the incoming data did not come back the same route....

• 2 weeks later...