Nvidia Shield App - Audio output

AntaresFR

AntaresFR
Hi,

I'm using Emby from months now and I love it. I have integrated it in my domotic system with a custom app based on the API.

I encounter now a little thing which annoys me.

My daughter sometimes watch animes on the Nvidia Shield Emby app, without powering on the AV Receiver put between the Shield and the TV. 

In this case, if Emby app play "Audio output" setting in options is set to "Downmix to stereo", all is ok. But if i put this to Auto, no sound in that case.

If I turn on the AV Receiver, with "Audio output" setting put to "Auto", i have the sound. Problem is this setting is app specific and not "user specfic" and there is no mean to change it remotly.

So i can't start a movie from my domotic system and force the sound to auto if AV Receiver is on and downmix to stereo if off.

Could it be possible to store this settings in the app but with an override option, or a mean to change it with a shortcut, or anything else :D

Regards

That's interesting. So basically the app is sending audio formats it thinks will be supported, even though they aren't due to the receiver being powered off.

AntaresFR

Yes I think it's that kind of thing :)

I tried with VLC or Kodi as External Player and I have sound with receiver off.

So i think there should be a mean to avoid this muting.

Your amp probably has the ability to pass thru signals so it is advertising support for the audio even when in standby.  Can you maybe try a different input on the receiver?

AntaresFR

Yes it supports pass thru, it's easier for my daughter to watch animes withotu turning the receiver on :)

I have to set in the receiver options which input should be pass trough and i set it to the shield. but if i use an external player in emby, it launches vlc or kodi when i launch the movie from emby and i have sound even when the receiver is on stand by mode.

That's the thing i want to achiev, having the sound with receiver on or in stand by mode.

I tried yesterday to work with an external player defined but in this case i always loose something.

- If i use the direct "static" stream, i'm not able to choose subtitles and audio stream from my app

- If i use the emby stream in external player i'm not able to seek in file :D

I'll see later when i'll be back home if this "problem" occurs only with some kind of audio stream.
I konw it works withotu problem with stereo movie. Maybe it's only a DTS or other thing problem. 
I just hope we could find a solution. If vlc and kodi can read we could read too !

In worst case i'll setup a second player just for movies from my domotic system but it s a kind of money waste.

Edited by AntaresFR

AntaresFR

Could it be possible to add the MaxAudioChannels parameter to the /Sessions/{ID}/Playing of the API ?

That could solve all my problems :D

AntaresFR

I made some test.

All audio except pure stereo result to no sound if receiver is in standby.

I tried with all HDMI-CEC on, all HDMI-CEC off, without success

It's a pain :D

What are the audio settings in Kodi? The reason why you probably have sound is because you might have audio passthrough turned off.

AntaresFR

Looks like you are true !

Juste made some test with kodi and if I allow passtrough in it, if receiver is on i have DTS but if receiver is in standby i have no sound !

So then it's basically the same situation. Have you considered something like a universal remote? You can give your daughter one button to press to turn everything on and it will turn on the receiver.

AntaresFR

I dont need a remote, with my app it's already the case.

When i click on a movie, it launches receiver, launch the tv, set the tv on the good input, launch the shield and emby app and start directly the movie.

But I'd prefer been able to see a movie without having to everytime start receiver and power amps :D

Maybe i ll have to buy a second shield just to have one with the emby app setting for Audio output to auto and one with Downmix to stereo.

There is no mean to ask the shield to play an item with a MaxAudioChannels via the Api ?

Edited by AntaresFR

There is no mean to ask the shield to play an item with a MaxAudioChannels via the Api 

There is no way to do that, sorry.

AntaresFR

There is no way to do that, sorry.

Is it an actual state or is it an impossible thing ?

AntaresFR

Ah yes that is what i understood from the doc.

So maybe it should be taken as a suggestion :)

Edited by AntaresFR

• 2 weeks later...
caveman456

Similar situation here, I have a central Amp feeding to a TV in our lounge and a Projector in our media room. The lounge has 2 ceiling speakers and the media room has 5.1 surround sound. To get Audio in the Lounge (2 speaker system) I have to set the Audio output to "Downmix to Stereo" whereas in the Media room (5.1 Surround Sound) I have to set it to Auto to get the surround sound passthrough.

Similar situation here, I have a central Amp feeding to a TV in our lounge and a Projector in our media room. The lounge has 2 ceiling speakers and the media room has 5.1 surround sound. To get Audio in the Lounge (2 speaker system) I have to set the Audio output to "Downmix to Stereo" whereas in the Media room (5.1 Surround Sound) I have to set it to Auto to get the surround sound passthrough.

Hi.  Is there a problem there?

AntaresFR

Not a problem but maybe it would be nice to have a fast setting to switch this, or a "per profile" setting ! (i'd prefer a per profile setting :D)

caveman456

Not a problem for me, but if i've been watching something in the media room on the projector and forget to reset the audio output to "Downmix to Stereo" then there is no sound in the main room and I get random phone calls at work "There's no sound, what do I do" from the not so tech savvy household. It would be good if "Auto" did mean Auto.

Not a problem for me, but if i've been watching something in the media room on the projector and forget to reset the audio output to "Downmix to Stereo" then there is no sound in the main room and I get random phone calls at work "There's no sound, what do I do" from the not so tech savvy household. It would be good if "Auto" did mean Auto.

It does but it can only be as good as the information provided by your system and, the way these HDMI handshakes work, the information can be incorrect if you are switching things around.

AntaresFR

I'm ok to send you directly 20 bucks for coffee or other things just to have a per profile setting for this :D