Can't connect out of my network

los347

Guest asrequested

Oh, I thought you said the server was on the shield. My mistake.

1. It now shows both the old server and the new server when you open the app. (Not sure how to delte the old) 

click on it. It will eventually give you the option to delete it.

2. Clicking on the correct server gives anerror " We're unable to connect to the selected server right now .....

This is what you need to confirm that you've correctly configure with the connectivity guide

los347

This is what you need to confirm that you've correctly configure with the connectivity guide

I have went through the guide again and checked everything with still no luck for remote connection. Any other ideas what I might do?

Guest asrequested

And you tried entering the IP in the app, both in LAN and WAN? Made sure you're using the correct password?

Happy2Play

Do the ports show open on a site like canyouseeme.org?

los347

And you tried entering the IP in the app, both in LAN and WAN? Made sure you're using the correct password?

Yes

Do the ports show open on a site like canyouseeme.org?

No I get this

Error: I could not see your service on 184.xx.xx.xxx on port (8096)

Reason: Connection timed out

Edited by los347
edit ip address

Guest asrequested

No I get this

Error: I could not see your service on 184.xx.xx.xxx on port (8096)

Reason: Connection timed out

Is that the remote address shown in the dashboard? I had asked about canyouseeme in post #4

Edited by Happy2Play
edit ip address

Guest asrequested

Yes that is the remote address with port 8096

And it's correctly forwarded? What router do you have?

Happy2Play

So since this is a new server/device have you port forwarded your router to the correct machine/LAN ip?

Happy2Play

Not familiar with that router, but how does it know where Emby is located "internal address"?  

Happy2Play

Correct. 

Did you clear the host ip address in the image above?  Otherwise to me you have to assign the internal host ip address you want to connect to.

Happy2Play

Doesn't appear to be the same model as your screenshot.

Follow the steps below to enter these ports into your router.

• Choose Custom from the Service List drop down list.
  • Put a check in the box labeled Enable.
  • In the Description box, type in a name for this forward. This will serve as a reminder to you in the future as to why this forward was set up, so give it a name that makes sense to you.
  • You can enter either a single number or a range of numbers in the Inbound Port box. If you are forwarding a single port number you can enter it into the Inbound Port box. To forward a range of ports you can enter the lowest number of that range into the Inbound Port box, followed by a hyphen, followed by the largest number. An example would look like this: 1000-2000.
  • In the Protocol dropdown box, select the protocol type of the ports you are forwarding. Choose Both if your router has that option. Otherwise, select either TCP or UDP as needed. If you need to forward a port for both TCP and UDP and your router does not have the Both option, then you need to create two entries.
  • Go ahead and enter the IP address that you are forwarding ports to into the Private IP Address box. It is possible for this to be either the IP address of your computer or of any other device on your network that you want ports forwarded to.
  • Enter the exact same values that you put in the Inbound Port box, into the Private Port box.

Click the Apply button at the bottom of the page to apply these changes when you are completely finished.

To me it looks like you need to enter your Internal host ip address.

Guest asrequested

You've got something blocking the port. I'd suggest you start from scratch. Assume that you've never done this before, erase all settings, and start from the beginning. And disable automatic port mapping, in the advanced section.

You've got something blocking the port. I'd suggest you start from scratch. Assume that you've never done this before, erase all settings, and start from the beginning. And disable automatic port mapping, in the advanced section.

If something is blocking the port then reinstalling the server will not have any impact. That means the problem is the problem is in his firewall, router, security software, etc.

Guest asrequested

If something is blocking the port then reinstalling the server will not have any impact. That means the problem is the problem is in his firewall, router, security software, etc.

I wasn't suggesting reinstalling the server, just reset everything to default, clear out any previous user options etc. We're missing a piece of the puzzle, that I think he's forgotten about, or is overlooking. Staring over will eliminate all that.

Michael.D.Pine

Geez I didn't think this would be so difficult to do.

I have setup port forwarding, I have a user linked to an Emby Connect account, I can hit the sever internally from a different PC on that Port. But I cannot connect to the external ip address. I have disabled automatic port forwarding and I still can't connect off the internal network.

But even on the internal network I cannot access the external ip address on that port. Internal IP Address is fine, the User I am trying to connect with has the little cloud icon on it which is supposed to indicate that the user is linked to Emby Connect.

Is there ANYTHING else I am supposed to do to try and get the port working correctly ?

thanks

Michael

Hi.  If Canyouseeme.org is not reporting your port open then nothing in Emby is going to make any difference.  The issue is somewhere in the network configuration.  Perhaps talk to your ISP?

Michael.D.Pine

Well according to my ISP and I am checking there is no port blocking other than the standard port's that are blocked SMTP/FTP etc, so there should be no port blocking.

This whole Emby Connect "thing" is very confusing and it is to do with the way the authentication is working and how I get redirected to different sites. So my user has Emby connect user assigned to it but now when I just signed into Emby Connect from a browser at work I am not seeing the server listed.

So let me get this straight, to be able to connect my Android Emby Client for example out of the Home network I just need an Emby Connect account signed to the user and be able to access that Remote Wan IP Address and Port number ?

Where do I put in my password that links my Emby Connect account to the User account, i don't remember ever doing that and I don't have the Invite my email link when I add a new user.

los347

So for me it ended up bgeing a firewall issue. If I turn off Windows Firewall I am able to connect remote. So I will troubleshoot the firewall tomorrow. Hope that helps anyone else having trouble. 

Michael.D.Pine

I'll give it a go Wednesday here when I get access to the HTPC again it's always in use :)