Auto fall-back artwork

xnappo

xnappo

I would like to request that posters, discs, fanart, clearart, logos etc etc automatically show up at the Season and Episode level when it does not exist at that level.

xnappo

• Like 2

xnappo

MPAA rating and Studio show fall through too.  Probably more..

xnappo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
BATTLE DONKEY

An issue with this request that I brought up a while ago which I believe is still present (I'm not at my PC right now to confirm) is with gamebrowser. I've added logo.PNG to my console parent folders, originally the games inherited the console logo.PNG if none was present. Now, after an update a while ago my games no longer show the titles, only if they have their own logos does anything show up

xnappo

Sure - at least with the art work it is there - but just a bunch of queries on the type all over the place to decide which art to use when.  Seems like the server should handle that.

For Episode studio and MPAA rating though, the situation is worse because you have to actually hit up the server for the parent id data to get them.

Feel free to move this to the dev thread - I made it here by mistake :D

xnappo

Right. I think this is the type of thing that gets addressed in api v2. The current api is designed to be dumb and not care about what it's being used for. That's what allows the editing interface to use the methods. The drawback is the additional workload placed on ui developers. So I think eventually a v2 api could be built that splits these functions, and the api designed for display can return data like what you're suggesting.

Some api redesign would be needed. There are times when it would be nice to auto-inherit, and then there are also other times where it would be preferable for the UI to know about it so that it can choose what to inherit.

The items do return some parent image information, you're aware of that right?

I think it's a possibility at some point though to have a little more inheritance then there is now.