Restrict Access to folders View By User

ErikaJ

ErikaJ

Good day...I would like to restrict access to the folders tab in movies view for some family members. Is there a way to do this on a per user basis? Reason for this is so they do not accidently delete/erase any items in the folders tab view. 5ce1e004dbfb0_MB4.pngThis can be a hidden aspect or pure elimination TIA

Hi, you can't hide this tab, but it sounds like what you really want to do is restrict user delete permissions. Is that correct? Because even if you could take this tab away, that wouldn't stop them from deleting content on other screens. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

ErikaJ

G'day mate! Thank you Luke for the response. Yes, exactly I want to restrict user delete permissions. I know there is a setting which I did toggle it for a test user so I can verify if that works but it would be nice to just not have that appear on a per user basis. I checked the various xml files to see if there was a condition I could edit out for the user but apparently the "folders" tab is stated within the json files. No worries tho. Cheers.

edit...Can hiding the tab on a per user basis be accomplished by using tags? Just a thought.

Edited by snaitaz

No, there is currently no way to hide the tab, but it's possible for the future. Thanks.

ErikaJ

Good day...Continuing with my concern for security restrictions, I created tester (see MB-user1 and MB-user2) with zero ability to edit files or manage anything other than to view a movie/tv show etc. From the sever side (admin) I created a folder named test folder in the movies section which for my example, tester should not be able to delete the folder, add it to a collection, playlist or sync this folder. Unfortunately (see MB-user3), it appears that tester can subject the folder to a collection, playlist or sync although there is no option for tester to delete the folder (a good thing).

Now to be clear, when tester makes the test folder a collection or playlist that folder does not appear in collections or playlist within testers account. The folder does however appear in the collections or playlist section looking at it from the server side (see MB-svr1 and MB-svr2). 

So unless I missed a setting someplace there seems to be a security hole. Any thoughts? Cheers

MB-user1

5ce3073ad4bb6_MBuser1.png

MB-user2

5ce30793a2b14_MBuser2.png

MB-user3

5ce308c406a5c_MBuser3.png

MB-svr1

5ce307acc94b5_MBsvr1.png

MB-svr2

5ce307d9eea2a_MBsvr2.png

ErikaJ

BTW I did tickle the 2 boxes in the download & sync area but that had no effect so I checked back in those boxes as shown in MB-user1.

Playlists and collections are different, and permissions around those will be revamped in a future update. thanks.

ErikaJ

Thanks Luke. Yes I do know playlists and collections are different. The issue was that an end user who I setup with no authority other than to view was able to manage/edit material that was not allowed. However, you did answer to the root of my issue which is permissions/security and that that would be addressed in a future update so thank you once again. Cheers.