4k hevc transcoding with ubuntu server 19.04 or higher

adoteq

adoteq

I have a success story to share.

I am currently using Ubuntu 19.04 server with latest drivers and updated installer during setup. After installing emby 4.1.1.0 server using dpkg -i, it recognised my intel uhd 630 immediately. After searching online, I manually installed .deb files for nvidia graphics cards for encode & decode using wget and dpkg -i from ppa on website. Not all packages where installed, since there were errors. After running apt update ubuntu itself stated that packages where missing from nvidia drivers, so I ran apt upgrade.

Then I rebooted my linux machine, and all devices could be detected. I use a pcie ssd as main drive.

Now I am finally able to transcode 4k hevc in realtime, after 2 years of problems with plex, and 1 year with emby. It seems to be related to the Gui of the operating system as of why 4k transcoding does not work realtime in the past.

I think this because from the moment the os boots, the screen output becomes disabled. Not sure why...

Any one any ideas as of why 4k transcoding works with ubuntu server 19.04 when the screen output is disabled?

Hi there, thanks for the feedback. That's great information !

Any one any ideas as of why 4k transcoding works with ubuntu server 19.04 when the screen output is disabled? 

How did you make this correlation?

adoteq

Well, after installing the Nvidia drivers and updating the kernel de screen output went black... So, I had to login using ssh. Be sure to install apt install openssh-server on the system before installing Nvidia drivers, because you'll loose access to the main screen input(terminal). Also, be sure to use apt fix command that's displayed when terminal states that Nvidia drivers are incomplete. Wasn't too clear about it.

The coorelation. I think this since it's the first time I was able to get the Intel gpu to work properly with 4k hevc. I haven't tested Nvidia yet, but it is detected by emby. So, I basically selected Intel gpu using vaapi, and it works. The best I got on Windows before was stuttering en after 45-1:30 minutes it buffered. That's now gone.

I don't believe that your  video output problems are related to Emby hardware acceleration. 

This rather seems to have happened by accident while you were trying to update drivers.

Have you even tried connecting a monitor to both - on-board and discrete gpu board - video output connectors?

Otherwise this rather appears to be a Linux issue than an Emby issue.

Generally there don't exist such conditions like "Emby hw acceleration only working when video output is dysfunctional"...

• 1 month later...
adoteq

After another update, it is now not working anymore.

I couldn’t find this topic, so i am talking about an update few months ago.

I have these issues with all devices I own with igpu and Ubuntu server/desktop, freenas, windows and osx.