Option to ignore pre-existing metadata/image files

GrimReaper

GrimReaper

Following a discussion that can be found here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/73623-the-cover-file-was-deleted-by-emby/page-2&do=findComment&comment=743453

I'd like to lodge a request for option to ignore pre-existing metadata/media files or internal logic changed that during library creation same are ignored after initial scan.

Summary, which is basically duplication of my post in above thread:

Internal logic by which Emby is allowed to act on user files without permission is a faulty one. Reasons for extra files present in media folder are irrelevant (whether some other programs use it or it is a personal quirk or anything other that someone can come up with), what's relevant is that Emby should be limited to manipulating its own database and associated folders, i.e. Metadata folder, unless specifically being given permission to by keeping media files with one's media.

I have absolutely zero use for either Personal Trackers or image files in folders (which is not to say I MIGHT NOT have some day), however I'm not willing to give any program an all-out on my folders - it being Emby or any other - without explicit permission.

One would think that's by default, but obviously that's not the case.

Hope my reasoning was explained clear enough.

Cheers

It makes sense. In the meantime you can achieve this for nfo files by uninstalling the nfo plugin altogether.

GrimReaper

It makes sense. In the meantime you can achieve this for nfo files by uninstalling the nfo plugin altogether.

I DON'T have nfos enabled and I DO NOT store images with media. I stumbled upon this by recreating steps from another user, and file inside my media folder did got deleted although my server is database-only setup. Hence the FR.

Cheers

Happy2Play

This is two fold as metadata and images are separate issues.  Removing the nfo plugin resolves the nfo reading/writing issue.  But local images are deleted when you don't have the option save with media enabled and you do a Refresh/replace existing.

GrimReaper

This is two fold as metadata and images are separate issues. Removing the nfo plugin resolves the nfo reading/writing issue. But local images are deleted when you don't have the option save with media enabled and you do a Refresh/replace existing.

Well, they just shouldn't, in that setup and for the reasons explained above.

Cheers

Happy2Play

You don't like the current action, but others complained about Emby not clearing the media folder when the options where changed.  You will never please everyone.  

But Read only should resolve the issue, denying Emby permissions.

Edited by Happy2Play

GrimReaper

You don't like the current action, but others complained about Emby not clearing the media folder when the options where changed. You will never please everyone.

But Read only should resolve the issue, denying Emby permissions.

Which is completely fine, as those files were created by Emby and permission given by storing nfo and/or images with media files.

If you read carefully, my request was for pre-existing files not to be acted upon, everything that is performed afterwards is as user chooses it, based on configuration selection, that's willingly and matter of choice - former is unwillingly and without any choice in the matter.

Cheers