XBox One Force Transcoding

fizzyade

fizzyade

Our best friends have access to our emby server, they use the xbox one client to watch, but they have awful problems with it buffering and so forth.

Having worked through a few things, forcing transcoding seems to make things a lot better.  Is there any chance of an option to force transcoding regardless of the bitrate?

I.e always transcode, burn in subtitles etc at the maximum bitrate set by either the source or the remote server connection.

I've done a bit of research and it seems that a lot of people have trouble with buffering and so forth with the xbox client.

Currently, I've told them to set their quality down to a level that always forces a transcode, but that's not ideal.  It'd be nice to select a bitrate but also select force transcode, that way they end up streaming a x mbps transcoded video from my server.

chef

Hi fizzyade,

Are you friends connecting remotely to your server?

If so, you may want to change the external connection rate to something lower.

I use 5Mb/s and this will most likely either force a transcode for media items with higher bitrates, but also stop their Xbox from requesting rates that your network can't provide.

This can also be customized per user under user settings.

I hope that helps.

Edited by chef

fizzyade

Hi fizzyade,

Are you friends connecting remotely to your server?

If so, you may want to change the external connection rate to something lower.

I use 5Mb/s and this will most likely either force a transcode for media items with higher bitrates, but also stop their Xbox from requesting rates that your network can't provide.

This can also be customized per user under user settings.

I hope that helps.

Yes connecting remotely, I don't want to change the upload rate my side as that will affect me when I stream remotely, I don't have the issues they have as I don't use an xbox.

I've told them to set it to 5Mbps and that has improved matters but not alleviated it, I don't believe the issue to be bandwidth related.  The xbox client seems much happier when getting a transcoded stream from my server (whether it's subtitles causing issues I don't exactly know), hence why I'd like to force transcode.

Guest asrequested

Look in the user account you made for them. There is an option to set the bandwidth which will only affect them. When added them, did you make a local user account then link it to Emby connect, or just sent them an invite?

Edited by Doofus

fizzyade

Created a local account.

I'm tempted to send them an unused FireTV stick I have laying around here....I know the android client is pretty decent.

chef

In most cases Xbox will transcode media because it has limitations on, specifically, audio streams.

It seems only to like Aac, or AC3. If your media item has anything like DTS, or DTS-HD the server will, most likely, transcode.

Subtitles may also cause a transcode on Xbox one as well.

Doofus is right, and as mentioned above, after creating a user account there are advanced options to limit that particular user accounts bitrates capabilities.

I was thinking about moving away from Xbox, let us know how it goes with the fire stick.

Edited by chef

Try having them set it to 3 mbps. It could very well be bandwidth related.

there's no reason direct play shouldn't work given enough bandwidth, unless the xbox video player is having trouble decoding it for some reason.

fizzyade

Try having them set it to 3 mbps. It could very well be bandwidth related.

there's no reason direct play shouldn't work given enough bandwidth, unless the xbox video player is having trouble decoding it for some reason.

they have an android client in the house which works fine. everywhere i read says that the emby xbox client is terrible, lots of buffering.

transocding hasnt fixed all their xbox issues, but its certainly solved subtitle buffering issues they were having.

ive dug out a gen2 fire tv stick and am posting it to them tomorrow.