Android TV Playback uses foreign audio track even when English is selected in Shield TV Interface

bradford

bradford

When I try to play this one video for my kids (My Neighbor Totoro), the Japanese audio track plays even though the English track is selected in the Shield TV app interface. My workaround has been to cast it from Emby on my mobile phone, which works fine. 

Log is attached.

Log.txt

Westiewill

I've had some movies do that to me, what I do is use mkvtoolnix to remove the undesired audio tracks. That is one workaround.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Summited Android logs at 19:49 ET

Hi.  Not sure if I'm finding your log but there is no playback in the one sent at that time.  Did you play the item with the problem and then send the log?   What user was logged in?

Thanks.

bradford

Hi.  Not sure if I'm finding your log but there is no playback in the one sent at that time.  Did you play the item with the problem and then send the log?   What user was logged in?

Thanks.

I started playing the movie a few hours before I submitted the logs. To make it easier I played the video again just now (0848 ET) and submitted the logs immediately after playing the video for about 2 minutes. The user is HTPC.

Thanks for the new log.  For some reason, the app is not able to find the track to switch to.  Would it be possible for  you to get me a copy of this file?

• 1 month later...
bradford

Thanks for the new log.  For some reason, the app is not able to find the track to switch to.  Would it be possible for  you to get me a copy of this file?

Sorry for the late reply, I got busy. I PM-d you a link to download the problem video, it will expire in a week so if you can't download a copy before then let me know and I'll get you another link. Thanks!

Thanks.  One thing I noticed - which may or may not be relevant - is that BOTH audio tracks are marked as default.  I didn't even know that was possible...

bradford

Thanks.  One thing I noticed - which may or may not be relevant - is that BOTH audio tracks are marked as default.  I didn't even know that was possible...

I would put money on that being the issue. Very weird. Sounds like it could be a simple logic fix to accommodate this type of situation. 

bradford

@@ebr I looked at the file in mkvtoolnix and it shows the japanese audio track and english subtitles as default, not both audio tracks. Did you use another tool?

Edited by bradford

Emby is seeing both as default.  That is odd but I don't think it is what is causing this issue.  I think something else is goofy about how the tracks are defined but I haven't tracked it down yet.

Media Info

Video Title1080p H264
CodecH264
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x1040
Aspect ratio1.85:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976
Bitrate9,049 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
NAL4
Audio TitleJapanese DTS stereo (Default)
LanguageJapanese
CodecDTS
ProfileDTS
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate1,536 kbps
Sample rate48,000 Hz
DefaultYes
Audio TitleEnglish Dolby Digital stereo (Default)
LanguageEnglish
CodecAC3
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate192 kbps
Sample rate48,000 Hz
DefaultYes

In addition to Emby seeing both tracks as default, it also sees both tracks as stereo when, it appears, they are actually both 5.1:

2019-06-19 14:31:52.432 6614-6614/tv.emby.embyatv D/EventLogger:     Group:0, adaptive_supported=N/A [
2019-06-19 14:31:52.432 6614-6614/tv.emby.embyatv D/EventLogger:       [X] Track:0, id=2, mimeType=audio/vnd.dts, channels=6, sample_rate=48000, language=jpn, supported=YES
2019-06-19 14:31:52.433 6614-6614/tv.emby.embyatv D/EventLogger:     ]
2019-06-19 14:31:52.434 6614-6614/tv.emby.embyatv D/EventLogger:     Group:1, adaptive_supported=N/A [
2019-06-19 14:31:52.434 6614-6614/tv.emby.embyatv D/EventLogger:       [ ] Track:0, id=3, mimeType=audio/ac3, channels=6, sample_rate=48000, language=eng, supported=YES

Since the channels don't match, the app doesn't think they are the proper track.

Luke, @@softworkz, is this an ffprobe problem of some sort?

bradford

@@Luke - I usually leave ripping to the, ahem, professionals. They're better at it than I am, at least before I started just doing straight BD remuxes myself, I can't screw that up if I'm not re-encoding. 

@@ebr - That's interesting. I ran it through ffprobe (Windows x64) and got the following output, it jives with what emby displays in the UI:

5d0fc75f2e4b4_Capture.jpg

Both default and both stereo. Even MPC-HC thinks they're stereo. The log snippet you posted seems to think they're 5.1, where is it getting that information? Based on the bitrate I would put money on them being 5.1. 

I'll probably just change the defaults with mkvtoolnix and later just pull a remux of the BD. Still worth a shot at fixing the behavior of not being able to change the audio track manually, even if it's weird like this one is. To re-address the original issue, the Android TV app will not let me change the audio track, but if I cast it from the Android app it works!

Edit: Mkvtoolnix thinks they're both 6 channels! 

Edit 2: I swapped the defaults in mkvtoolnix (so English audio is default, others aren't) and remuxed it, the output from ffprobe is below. It looks like mkvtoolnix added some metadata, but at least there's not two defaults now.

5d0fc955c6a76_Capture.jpg

Edited by bradford

bradford

After making the above changes the file plays normally. I still consider this a bug in the Android player since it does not behave as expected when a audio track is selected. Thanks.

Yes, I agree but it is just a tricky one due to some complexities in how the player identifies tracks.  We are expecting the metadata we have to match the actual track makeup.