Switching server versions between stables and betas

MindBullet

MindBullet

Hey guys once again,

I know this has been asked quite frequently, but I wanted an update on this, as the freshest post I found by "the architect" @@Luke was from 2018.

I have 2 questions on that:

1. Is it possible to simply switch from stable to beta without problems? Somebody stated that this actually is no problem, but they might occur if switching from beta back to stable

2. In my specific scenario I cahnged from stable to beta, back to stable and then back to beta. Am I going to face issues now (be damned, forsaken, left by all beloved people) or is that alright?

I just want to make sure, that I don't do anything that affects the performance of my server, as I have some decent traffic going on on that.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated. Have a great weekend and best regards : )

Edited by MindBullet

Gilgamesh_48

Stable to beta - sure, just install the beta and let the process finish.

Beta to stable - only if they are at a point where they are at exactly the same number. Or you can do a complete uninstall/reinstall including a wipe of all data and a rebuild of the database.

MindBullet

Thank you @@Gilgamesh_48. And, if I may ask you, would you say I need to reinstall from scratch now, if I was going from stable to beta, from beta to stable and another time back to beta?

I did all of this with versions 4.1.X.X (stables) and 4.2.X.X. (betas)

MindBullet

Does the "Repair" function of the Emby server installation do anything in this case?

Gilgamesh_48

Does the "Repair" function of the Emby server installation do anything in this case?

I really do not know. I have never had an occasion where I needed or wanted to use the repair function. However, if you are having troubles it cannot hurt to give it a try.

Thank you @@Gilgamesh_48. And, if I may ask you, would you say I need to reinstall from scratch now, if I was going from stable to beta, from beta to stable and another time back to beta?

I did all of this with versions 4.1.X.X (stables) and 4.2.X.X. (betas)

If you are having problems that might be due to database issues then that is a last resort that might fix you issues, assuming that it is not something else causing problems.

To do a full re-install be sure to first use the Windows remove program feature and choose "Remove all traces" then after it finishes, it could take quite a long time without any apparent action depending of database size (Like it can take hours). you re-install from scratch.

I was running one server at the "stable" and another at the "beta" but I decided to take my chances and just run the beta. I do not think that Emby will let a server get out to the beta that will do anything unrecoverable to my system so I decided some time ago to take the risk and go beta only. I like having the latest features available and I believe the problems in the beta are low enough to run the beta exclusively.  I also run the beta on all my clients (Shield TV. Fire TV and Roku) but on my Roku where you can have both stable and beta installed I do that so as to provide some protection for my ability to watch my content, just in case. I mostly use the Shield as my primary client.

rbjtech

If you install the 'portable' version and use different ports for each, then technically you can run stable and beta on the same physical machine.  if you want to be extra smart, then you can just use DNS to point to the 'live' server (instead of IP address) and never need to update your clients should you wish to do maintenance on one of the instances for example. 

There are other options of course, such as docker, VM's etc but in summary, having both beta/stable is a good thing as you can 'play' without fear of taking out your families evening viewing  ;)  

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

If you install the 'portable' version and use different ports for each, then technically you can run stable and beta on the same physical machine.  if you want to be extra smart, then you can just use DNS to point to the 'live' server (instead of IP address) and never need to update your clients should you wish to do maintenance on one of the instances for example. 

There are other options of course, such as docker, VM's etc but in summary, having both beta/stable is a good thing as you can 'play' without fear of taking out your families evening viewing  ;)

Agreed.

I'm doing the Docker route.

I run both Stable and Beta side by side on different ports. Most of my devices are set up to connect to the stable build. Then I have Emby Theater on my computer connecting to the beta for testing.

Spaceboy

If you install the 'portable' version and use different ports for each, then technically you can run stable and beta on the same physical machine. if you want to be extra smart, then you can just use DNS to point to the 'live' server (instead of IP address) and never need to update your clients should you wish to do maintenance on one of the instances for example.

There are other options of course, such as docker, VM's etc but in summary, having both beta/stable is a good thing as you can 'play' without fear of taking out your families evening viewing ;)

not from my experience. Tried running a portable on the same machine as my full install and the portable one was inoperable within a few days. It kept trying to use the standard ports and clashing with the full install