How Emby could quickly improve

gsimonds62

gsimonds62

First of all, I am very impressed with your application as I love movies and have about 2,400 of them and am in the process of putting them on hard drive. I have been using Plex for some time with satisfactory results. I find Emby to me much more polished yet still find it lacking for intuitive use. I have composed a list for both Emby and Plex of Pros and Cons. Would love to switch to Emby but a few items keep me from doing this. Most people ignore constructive criticism but I will lay it out as I would like to see you succeed and would love to use the app. Thank you.

EMBY & PLEX: Pros and Cons

Emby

Pros

1. Wonderful graphics as well as background pics.
  2. A-Z scrolling inside movie genres on left and easy to get to.

Cons

1. Too much scrolling to see all of my media genres. Need to be more condensed.
  2. Very slow movie forward or reverse. Need 1,2,3 speeds.
  3. 10-20 sec reverse or forward jump would be great.
  4. Chapters show outside of movie playing window page.
  5. Can’t read full movie descriptions on movies with longer synopsis once inside movie info page.
  6. Takes 2 clicks to go from specific movie genre pics back to home media page. Plex is 1.
  7.   Would be nice to have (all) Latest Movies on page rather than latest movies for each genre.        

PLEX

Pros

1. All genres easy to get too with one click on left side.
  2. Very fast rewind and fast forward while playing movies.

Cons

1. Poor graphics. Only see one full movie pic while scrolling in genre. Other pics are cut off.
  2. Chapter selections are inconsistent(aren’t always there) on page.
  3. A-Z scrolling on right and hard to get to.

Glenn                                         

Hi, welcome. What do you mean by this exactly?

Chapters show outside of movie playing window page.

crusher11

Hi, welcome. What do you mean by this exactly?

Chapters show outside of movie playing window page.

In Plex, when you pull up the on-screen playback controls (play, pause, skip forward, skip back etc), there's a button there to pull up the chapter thumbnails which you can scroll through while the movie is still playing, rather than having to navigate back to the "home" screen for the film.

Think of it like the difference between having to navigate back to a DVD menu or being able to use a pop-up menu on a Blu-ray.

CBers

@@crusher11 You can bring up the chapters during playback with the Android TV (ATV) app currently.

I believe this option, and many others, will be rolled out to all clients at some point.

• Like 1

Hi.  Which app did you base all of these observations on?

Thanks.

gsimonds62

Using Roku and I did figure out how to fast forward at a faster rate. My fault. 

Concerning #6-if I'm scrolling movies in a specific gender, drama, horror, etc., I have to go back a couple of pages to get to my media selection page. Not really a big deal but eliminating any needed steps is always welcome.

gsimonds62

For me, nicest thing would be to have my media movie subjects(genres) such as Drama, Horror, Sci-fi, be able to minimize so all can be seen at once like one can do on the computer(does not translate to TV). When one has 15 genres, it's not very friendly. Thank you so much for your responses. Glenn

I'm having a hard time visualizing the genre example. Any chance of showing a screenshot to demonstrate? Thanks !

gsimonds62

It is actually the genres in my media. Disclosed pic. Can  condense and make it look like this on my computer but won't translate to roku(TV). Plex recently put theres on the side which works quite well if you have a lot of them. Very easy to get to without having to scroll.

post-448397-0-60254500-1557775658_thumb.png

Ok so what you really is top level libraries, which you are using to correspond to genres.

gsimonds62

Terminology of "genre" may be incorrect but would be nice to have setup as shown in attachment on computer show the same way on TV. I personally like the way that it is now on Plex. It's all about convince and efficiency with the minimum amount of clicks on remote or computer to reach the desired location. Plex changed it to be this way for a reason. It was not always like that with them. People requested this. Attached the way they have it. All one needs to do is go back and fourth comparing the two applications and it's fairly obvious which setups work the best. Just my opinion though. Thank you for your interest. Most companies don't care at all.

We do plan to improve the sidebar in future updates. thanks for the feedback.

• 1 year later...
raudraido
On 5/9/2019 at 1:25 AM, gsimonds62 said:

Cons

1. Poor graphics. Only see one full movie pic while scrolling in genre. Other pics are cut off.
  2. Chapter selections are inconsistent(aren’t always there) on page.
  3. A-Z scrolling on right and hard to get to.                                                      

Glenn                                         

Plex No1 con is their online user account system. This is the biggest no-no for me.

Even if Plex would be 100% perfect in every way, I wouldn't start using it because of that Plex Pass system.

• Like 1