m3u stays connected after ungraceful client exit

danlo315

danlo315

I couldn't replicate this in the web app in the 20 minutes I tried changing channels quickly and clicking on refreshes and such. 

danlo315

I can pretty much replicate it fairly easily on the Android TV app though.  Start a channel - back up as soon as the circle is spinning *before* the channel starts to play.  The channel does not terminate.

image.png.c9d932e3be34a16333e7eb7ed6d8ef56.png

embyserver.txt.gz

danlo315

One last data point for you: I rolled back all the way to 4.7.5.0 but now I can still replicate this problem consistently on Android TV.

3 hours ago, danlo315 said:

I can pretty much replicate it fairly easily on the Android TV app though.  Start a channel - back up as soon as the circle is spinning *before* the channel starts to play.  The channel does not terminate.

image.png.c9d932e3be34a16333e7eb7ed6d8ef56.png

embyserver.txt.gz 831.32 kB · 0 downloads

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

danlo315

Just sideloaded the android app onto my Shield.

• It behaves exactly like the android app on my phone: when you click on a channel and backs out before the channel loads (during spinning circle), the spinning circle continues and will load the channel even as you are performing other UI actions (i.e. going through the guide).
    • This is consistent with what I have seen with the web app as well.  Backing out of a channel before the channel starts (during spinning circle) does not stop the channel load process.
  • Android TV app will let you back out of loading a channel during the spinning circle, but it "terminates" that load.  You can continue performing other GUI actions and no channel will load.
    • It seems that this might be the problem, where the client is terminating from an UI perspective, but it is not terminating the connection.
    • The server dashboard no longer shows the connection when this happens.  It is as if the server knows the connection is stopped but it's not telling downstream.
    • This is consistent with what I have seen with Apple TV app as well.

Getting somewhere...

Edited by danlo315

• This is consistent with what I have seen with the web app as well.  Backing out of a channel before the channel starts (during spinning circle) does not stop the channel load process.

But I thought you said you couldn't reproduce it in the web app? So if it's consistent, does that mean there's no problem with the android app on your phone?

danlo315

Let me clarify:

Android TV (and Apple TV) app have the issue. The UI experience is that when I click into a channel and click "back" while the channel is still loading, nothing else happens on the app. You can navigate through the app as nothing has happened. However, on TVheadend the channel is still running. The only way to terminate the channel is to restart the server.

On Android app as well as the browser, I cannot replicate. However, the UI experience is different: when I click into a channel and click "back" while the channel is still loading, the channel *will load* even though you have clicked on back. It doesn't matter if you have started navigating to something else within the app, the channel will still load. The TVHeadend back end behaves and in sync with Emby channel status. 

Is no one else able to recreate this behavior? 

However, the UI experience is different: when I click into a channel and click "back" while the channel is still loading, the channel *will load* even though you have clicked on back.

That's weird. I can't reproduce that. Is this after the app has navigated to the video screen?

danlo315
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

That's weird. I can't reproduce that. Is this after the app has navigated to the video screen?

Before.

I go into EPG, click on a channel, click play.  The loading circle starts, I immediately click on the back icon on the upper left.  It brings me back to the EPG, but the loading circle is still spinning.  I can navigate up/down the EPG as if it was normal, but when then the channel will play when it's ready.

I have attached the screencast.  This is the behavior that I see on my Android App (non-TV).  In TV, when you back out while the channel is loading, there is no overlaying loading circle and the channel does not start.

Before.

I go into EPG, click on a channel, click play.

Ok, that part of the process is not (yet) cancellable, so that's why it's still ends up navigating anyway. As continued improvements happen, I'm sure that will be improved.

danlo315
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Ok, that part of the process is not (yet) cancellable, so that's why it's still ends up navigating anyway. As continued improvements happen, I'm sure that will be improved.

And I am totally OK with that behavior as this is not the problem.  The problem is on the Android TV side: when I am on the Android TV app, when I click the back button while the channel is in the process of loading, it terminates on the app (different behavior as web/android app) but it does not try to terminate the channel load as I still see the active connection on TVHeadend.  The active connection on TVHeadend poses a problem as concurrent IPTV connections are typically limited to a very low numbers.

As this is my TVHeadend instance I'd be more than happy to provide a m3u file for you to connect and debug if you'd like.

Edited by danlo315

• 4 weeks later...

when you click on a channel and backs out before the channel loads

is this the only way? Yes some of our apps have open issues related to this, and we are working on them. Thanks.

danlo315
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

is this the only way? Yes some of our apps have open issues related to this, and we are working on them. Thanks.

Hi - this is the only way I've found so far. Like I mentioned earlier this behavior does not exist in Android (non TV) and the web app. 

• Thanks 1