MB3 Server doesn't handle TV DVDs properly

gfgf

If you have two discs it only finds the first one:

TV Shows\Awesome Show\Season 1\video_ts

TV Shows\Awesome Show\Season 2\video_ts

With this structure - the usual structure - Season 2 is unavailable. This seems like a massive oversight.

The alternatives don't work either. This method doesn't recognise the show:

TV Shows\Awesome Show - Season 1\video_ts

TV Shows\Awesome Show - Season 2\video_ts

While this method doesn't acknowledge the folder at all:

TV Shows\Awesome Show\Disc 1\video_ts

TV Shows\Awesome Show\Disc 2\video_ts

I suppose this is low on the dev's priority list given it's mid-2014 already and there's still no solution.

techywarrior

Hm, I think maybe the issue is that you are doing complete discs where the TV section is looking for individual episodes.

I have

TV\Show\Season 1\1x01 - episode 1 title.ts

TV\Show\Season 1\1x02 - episode 2 title.ts

etc.

Even if your file gets recognized I don't think the meta data is going to make sense because it is assuming a file per episode structure.

complete discs are fine. the issue is his naming convention. the library wiki has examples.

Indeed. Apparently the supported folder structure is:

TV Shows\Awesome Show\Season 1\S01E01-06\video_ts

TV Shows\Awesome Show\Season 2\S02E01-06\video_ts

However, with the discs and clients I've tried this only lets you play the first episode on each disc.

Edited by gfgf

techywarrior

Yea, that's what I was afraid of. And why I thought it wasn't supported.

I don't know how MBS will be able to read the disc image and determine episodes, tracks, etc. Not only that but it would need to be able to do this when a client makes a request to play a particular episode.

Maybe Luke can chime in since he is the expert.

Yes, our TV support is on an episode basis so we can provide detailed metadata at that level.

techywarrior

I suspect Luke didn't realize that the OP had 1 disc spanning multiple episodes when he said MBS supported it.

I wish there was some better way. I always struggle to rip my DVD TV shows. I probably need to redo them again because I found when I ripped them as individual titles and then combined them together the audio got out of sync.

I'd love to know what other people use/do. I had previously ripped all my movies and TV shows as m2ts (since it worked so well) but will change the TV shows to anything if someone has a method that won't require me to redo them again :)

Indeed. Apparently the supported folder structure is:

TV Shows\Awesome Show\Season 1\S01E01-06\video_ts

TV Shows\Awesome Show\Season 2\S02E01-06\video_ts

However, with the discs and clients I've tried this only lets you play the first episode on each disc.

Playback depends on the capabilities of the client. if they can handle the dvd natively, you'll get a full menu. if they can't they'll have to transcode. Since our trans-coding right now doesn't know a whole lot about the dvd structure, you basically just end up with the first episode.

Long story short, with a client like MBC, MBT or XBMB3C, you get the full menu. For other clients where we have to transcode, that's an experimental feature and it's going to be hit or miss.

techywarrior

I personally rip them to mkv and each episode is a file.  That seems to work for me.

The problem I was having is that the options I had for some of the shows was either to rip the entire disc or split by chapter. I split by chapter and then used tsMuxer to put them together. That should have been simple but for some reason the audio gets out of sync.

I don't know if it's just the way some of the discs/shows are mastered but on my recent BD rips of shows I have titles for each episode (that span multiple chapters) and there is no joining required. So those all work great.