Video Error: No Streams Were Provided for Playback

bardmaster

bardmaster

Emby Server Version 4.1.1.0

Roku Version 3.0.155

Devices: Roku3, Roku Ultra

Ever since upgrading from 4.0.3.(?) to 4.1.1.0 we have experienced playback issues from Roku.  This is primarily evident with Live TV and, if we wait for it, eventually get the error "Video Error: No Streams Were Provided for Playback."

Server and ffmpeg logs attached and I have sent 2 separate Roku logs from server "Matrix3"

I apologize if the server log is too large - we were watching the NBA playoffs (on TNT - but this problem has occurred across multiple channels).

Note that my wife also has complained of a different error when playing back recorded video: "Malformed data."  She would retry a few times and eventually it would work.  I don't have logs for such an instance, but thought I would mention it.

EmbyServer.zip

ffmpeg1.txt

ffmpeg2.txt

Edited by bardmaster

This might be.. likely is.. related to an issue we had before that I believe is still an issue. Until the server runs a full library scan newly ingested items may not be immediately playable on the Roku. Especially if you use the episodes tab of your TV library. It might also occur within the Live TV section too with the same issue.

To solve it requires rethink how we store this information. In the Roku it builds a playlist from the ID given to it and cuts off at the first virtual episode. Now for the issue. The server isn't culling the virtual episodes when a new episode is added. So you have both a real playable episode and a virtual. When the app requests the data by season for the episodes it is given the virtual episode. It is as if the playable episode doesn't exist. You can see it but it isn't in the seasons the seasons has it missing. Because the Roku loads this playlist by item ID by season for episodes this causes the problem. It might make an item unplayable until you scan the library entirely.

We are going to solve this problem and are very aware it happens. There are other big things going on that need to be done first but this will get fixed.

As far as the malformed data.. that is likely the signal or some other issue with the network causing the problem. Right now the fallback recovery when it sees that error assumes it has to fallback to fully transcode. If it already is fully transcoding and using hardware to do this it might cause a hiccup. It will try to restart the stream immediately right after stopping it and this might cause Emby/ffmpeg to do something wrong. Since it is asked to back to back change immediately and restart. Usually this all is handled correctly but at times if this takes too long the Roku might get stuck. This might also hang ffmpeg. There is something going on we have to investigate either in the Roku app or in how transcoding/ffmpeg is handled. 

Both of these issues we will address and are on our issue tracker. Thanks for remind us we haven't got there yet. We do appreciate knowing others want us there today. We want to be there too but the road sometimes has unforeseen bumps. These bumps slow us down but we always move forwards. Your media your way. Apologies we aren't there yet and let your wife know to keep track of how many slaps we deserve. Once this gets over 20 let us know. Each time it does this issue count that as a slap we deserve. Once it gets to 20 we will apply these slaps to ourselves at medium hardness.. lol. I know it gets frustrating and this comedy should help her understand we are human.

We don't see you as just an annoyance. I enjoy the feedback negative, positive or anywhere in between. All feedback has value just as people do. So please bear with us and give us some time and see if we don't move the needle in the right direction. The moment you feel we are moving the compass in a direction you dislike please let us know. Thanks and enjoy your cruise. The cruise director has been alerted of your feedback.  :)

Edited by speechles

bardmaster

@@speechles this was not meant as criticism in any way.  You guys have done an excellent job, and Emby still is preferred over Plex or other such solutions.  I just wanted to report a bug since the prior version of the server has been working flawlessly and since upgrading Live TV has been problematic.  Forget about the "malformed data" report I haven't experienced it, and perhaps it was just a bad connection, I reported it in case it provided an additional clue.

But it sounds like you guys know about some database issue already - is this possibly the same issue as in the past when the error message said "video error - ignored"?  We haven't seen that or anything like it until now and it's been over a year, and we use Emby constantly.

I will simply roll back the server as we use Emby for all our media needs these days.  If it is appropriate to do so, I will update this post if we run into the "no streams for playback" error again post-downgrade.

Cheers!

bardmaster

Ah, any chance the 4.0.3.0 release could be posted on the github release page?  It only has up to 3.5.2.0 now.  Sorry to be a pain - I was hoping the prior setup.exe I downloaded back in March would download the version I installed at that time (but I just got 4.1.1.0 again).

4.0.2.0 would work for me too, as I don't have any old DVD structure in my library.

Edited by bardmaster

If this is happening with Live TV it cannot be the issue speechles is thinking of.

It sounds more like a spotty signal issues.

Can you try lowering the in-app quality setting so that the server does a full transcode? How does that compare?

bardmaster

Can you try lowering the in-app quality setting so that the server does a full transcode? How does that compare?

I tried dropping quality to 1080p/8Mbps and the video freezes persist.  On the screen it just gets stuck on the "Loading" screen with 0% bar - this remains indefinitely until somebody hits the Roku BACK button which is where the error message presents itself.

Again, this only impacts Live TV streams and ONLY started when I upgraded Emby Server to 4.1.1.0 - no problems with 4.0.3.

EDIT:  I realize it would be extremely difficult to troubleshoot this with the production release, so I have just installed 4.2.0.5 beta and will report if the issue recurs with this version.

Edited by bardmaster

bardmaster

I have restored my main media server to 4.0.3.0 and fired up a new test server with the latest beta 4.2.0.5 to assist with troubleshooting.  I will start by running a Live TV stream using Emby Theater for Windows to see if I get the same error - to try and identify whether this is just a Roku issue or more of a server issue.

Edited by bardmaster