Restrict live tv channels on user account?

pcm2a

pcm2a

In the help page for Content Access it shows that we should be able to restrict access to certain channels on a user account. When I go into the User -> Access I do not see any settings to do this. Has that feature been removed?

5ccf61dee9a4d_ScreenShot20190505at52000P

Hi, we don't support this directly, but all existing parental control features can be used to block channels.

Edit the meta data for a channel(s) and add a TAG.  Then use this tag for any user you don't want to see that channel.

This is an easy way to filter channels like HBO, CINEMAX, STARZ, etc from younger accounts who shouldn't have access to potential adult content channels.

Carlo

pcm2a

How would a user looking at that page know that? It looks pretty clear about how to get to the page to restrict the access. Which plugin adds the support in that documentation?

• 4 years later...
ctyokley

Very similar siutation that I have... Figured out the meta data and only selected "Approved" for my kids' profile on the channels I want her to watch, but by opening up Live TV, it also opens up programs. This in return gives her some ability to go watch other things I may not want them too because those show may have been rated other ratings such as  TV-Y. Is there a way to disable programs within the profile UI when Live TV is enabled? 

Restricted channels when Guide is selected (Dont want to show full content here): This is working as expected...

image.png.90808d8d31c8eb7c8d411a5ea2d8b637.png

Normal Guide without restriction (for my profile or other people in my household):

image.png.2d90c88d6e82ffa545ec4ffa6d0b6d76.png

This is what is displayed when on the kids profile (as well as mine). Trying to remove Programs, Recordings, and Schedule for kids programs. 

image.png.18715d5238cfff44c906d3fa2778ca10.png

When  Programs is selected it shows the following (of which are not approved... and having content that has no parent rating automatically blocked.):

image.thumb.png.503d478cca16497d60a6d13ef68fcb98.png

So of these titles give the ability for the kid to watch, but some do not. While I'm ok with the ones she is not able to watch, there are times where the thumbnail generation/metadata generation just is not the best.. This is not because of Emby by any means.. it is because the movie/tv show might be labelled incorrectly and show images that are not kid friendly. Thoughs on how This can be removed from the specific profile? Thsi also gives her the ability to watch other Live TV channels of which are not approved from what I can tell (still officially testing this out and can post more information here... but preliminary results show this is accurate) ... confirming in my xteve logs I do see the profile trying to load teh channel which happened to be Shakira :D 

Edited by ctyokley

Trying to remove Programs, Recordings, and Schedule for kids programs. 

Hi, there is currently no way to do this, but the content within those tabs can be restricted.

When  Programs is selected it shows the following (of which are not approved... and having content that has no parent rating automatically blocked.):

Hi, are you saying they shouldn't be there? For example, what's the rating in Emby Server for the ESPN radio show?

Thsi also gives her the ability to watch other Live TV channels of which are not approved from what I can tell (still officially testing this out and can post more information here

By the way the channels themselves do not actually have a rating, unless you are manually adding them.

• 2 weeks later...
ctyokley

So, the channels .. correct do not have a rating. But, I'm using xteve to pair it with the live shows which do get a rating from an xml that I import daily. In this case the espn is TV-Y. (most likely incorrect :D ) 

The 3 channels i do have approved are manually rated channels as "APPROVED".  Was just looking to see if there was a way within the metadata manger to manager the cateogory or modify the UI to disable Programs, Scheduling, etc rather than micro managing the  channel or Movie/TV show for each one and just show "GUIDE"

Mainly, just looking for a kids only UI of only approved titles and tv channels. If that is even possible.

Edited by ctyokley

On 8/14/2023 at 7:21 AM, ctyokley said:

So, the channels .. correct do not have a rating. But, I'm using xteve to pair it with the live shows which do get a rating from an xml that I import daily. In this case the espn is TV-Y. (most likely incorrect :D ) 

The 3 channels i do have approved are manually rated channels as "APPROVED".  Was just looking to see if there was a way within the metadata manger to manager the cateogory or modify the UI to disable Programs, Scheduling, etc rather than micro managing the  channel or Movie/TV show for each one and just show "GUIDE"

Mainly, just looking for a kids only UI of only approved titles and tv channels. If that is even possible.

Hi, you can't take away those top level navigations, although you can restrict the content that shows up within them using parental controls and all of the access features that we have.

We'll have to look at getting this applied to the DVR schedule though.

Are you running Emby Server 4.7.13?

• 2 weeks later...

OK I reread this and now I understand your issue. We treat APPROVED and TV-Y as equivalent, so there's no way to grant access to one without the other.

An option to hide the programs tab isn't a good choice because there will still be other ways to reach tv-y content.

Are you also saying that unrated shows are showing for them?