How does 'Kodi for Emby' syncing actually work?

sir_brickalot

sir_brickalot

I ask because in my head Emby Server scans all media, detects it, saves it in a database and than serves the database content to clients.

BUT: In reality it seems that Kodi is scanning all media all over again, even when served over 'Kodi for Emby'.

I added my music collection to Emby Server the other day and it got added to the database, but after that Kodi scanned about two days to add and show the music and performance was unbearably during that.

Is this supposed to be that way or is there something wrong with my setup?

My setup:

Server-side:

Ubuntu Server 18.04.2 with Emby 4.1.1.0

Client-side:

RasPi with LibreElec 20190412210323 + Kodi for Emby

Angelblue05

It only scans when you first setup Emby for Kodi and you sync your libraries. If you add a library at a later time, then it will sync the library’s content only. You shouldn’t really try to use the device during that time. You can, but you will lag a lot as it is downloading and converting your Emby content’s data for Kodi.

After that, it only processes live updates while Kodi is running, the add-on usage should be at a minimum.

Make sure you have the Kodi companion server plugin installed to only update what you’ve interacted with when Kodi has been turned off and needs to sync back up to Emby. If you don’t have it installed, then the only option at this time is to do a manual library update in Emby for Kodi which is a heavier process than just using the Kodi companion.

Edited by Angelblue05

sir_brickalot

It only scans when you first setup Emby for Kodi [...] it is downloading and converting your Emby content’s data for Kodi.

Thanks for your quick answer. What does 'downloading and converting' mean in this context. I don't unterstand how this could be more time consuming than the initial scan of that library. 2 days for about 2500 preindexed albums?

Edited by sir_brickalot

Angelblue05

It means exactly that. It grabs your content’s metadata from the server (that’s what takes the longest in the process, especially grabbing music) and converts it into a Kodi format to exist in the Kodi database.

Music is a little more intense to sync to Kodi, especially if you have a large library. You can always run Kodi on a faster device, then backup it’s Emby for Kodi setup and databases and restore to other Kodi devices to not have to redo the sync for your complete libraries (of the same version of course).

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

sir_brickalot

Thank you. At least now I know it's not my setup.

I do have a couple of other minor questions, but I don't want to spam the forum. Is there a chatroom or something where I could ask? Otherwise I would open a new thread, to keep it clean.

Angelblue05

Thank you. At least now I know it's not my setup.

I do have a couple of other minor questions, but I don't want to spam the forum. Is there a chatroom or something where I could ask? Otherwise I would open a new thread, to keep it clean.

Ask away.

sir_brickalot

1. Ther is one more odd thing about the music scanning: In Emby most of the Music is correctly indexed but in Kodi a high percentage of "Artists" is just a long 32-digit ID. Not whole albums but single tracks. In "Albums" a high percentage seems 'unindexed' which means that the are listed with the folder name and are empty. I can't wrap my head around this.

The resume function is kind of a duplicate: I use my smartphone with Yatse as a remote control and if i choose "play-resume" in Yatse, Emby asks again on-screen for "resume" so in conclusion i have to switch in Yatse to the "Remote Control" function to be able to accept resume.

This might be a hardware limitation, but after some uptime, if I play new video media, audio starts then stops for a few second until it keeps playing (but always in sync).

Angelblue05

1. Can't say I've seen this before? @@sualfred any idea? What if you use the default Estuary skin. Same deal?

2. I'd have to see an example of how this works. Never really tested. If you do the same from the Emby webclient using play to, then it should not ask to resume.

3. It does that to switch to the emby user pref audio/sub options. There's no way to pre-tell Kodi the track to play, so it happens within 2-3 seconds of playback starting. However, this has been changed in beta. It now uses the database to set this information, so that it is correct when loading the video.

sualfred

1 -> No issues here. I only can image that the file strucutre is somehow not correct

sir_brickalot

1 -> No issues here. I only can image that the file strucutre is somehow not correct

Yea I think this might be a Kodi problem bcs I realize I had this strange behaviour in Kodi w/o Emby as well.

2. I'd have to see an example of how this works. Never really tested. If you do the same from the Emby webclient using play to, then it should not ask to resume.

I created a screen recording I hope that kinda explains what I mean: https://we.tl/t-IepPqYyf31

Edited by sir_brickalot