Path substitutions not working?

mbnwa

mbnwa

I setup a Path substitution for S:\ to \\SAN1 however in the MBC log's it shows that it's still trying to play the video file from S:\ location.

I am running MBC version 3.0.163.0 5-3.2

Am I doing something wrong to not be able to get Path substitutions working as expected?

sfnetwork

Before jumping into your issue, question; why don't you create your media folders using \\san1 UNC paths in the first place instead of S:?

mbnwa

Just for the simple fact I did not think about it at the time of setup. I would think of changing it however if I do that I would have to redo all my collections ect as MB does not auto group 3D movies with my non-3D movies so it's about 2hrs of work to re-setup the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfnetwork

I understand.

I'm not sure path substitution is meant to do that... (what would be the purpose, besides correcting an wrong path setup) But I might be wrong too...

Personally, reason for me to use it is so that in the NFO files (XBMC saver plugin), the actor image paths are using samba (smb://....) instead of UNC (OpenElec; Linux)

If I would be in your shoes, I would redo it, but that's me.. (I actually redid a lot of work manually a little similar to that just because I wanted to switch from Map drive path to UNC)

Just to have a simple base configuration of the MBS... To simplify support later on... In case this generates specific other issues in the future...

***Again, I might be wrong about path substitution, so if you really don't want to redo it, hold on for a second opinion...

Edited by sfnetwork

mbnwa

Thanks I might end up redoing it but figured I would check here first if I was doing something wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfnetwork

Based on your needs, I think filters would be more what would make your life simpler.

Wouldn't this solve your issue?

2014-05-17%2011-31-12%20PM.jpg

Edited by sfnetwork

Path substitution should be doing what you are trying to make it do but this really doesn't have anything to do with MBC.  Moving to the server forum so we can diagnose...

mbnwa

So just to add more info seeing this might be a server issue vs a MBC issue - I am running the dev builds currently running Version 3.0.5250.29164

I currently have my sub setup like the below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mup8t6nuyb8pcyg/Screenshot%202014-05-17%2021.45.54.png

My Library is setup as follows:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcgksnmwbktn9z4/Screenshot%202014-05-17%2021.46.45.png

So the goal would be for S:\Media Storage\Movies to become \\SAN1\Media Storage\Movies

However with this set MBC when trying to play files still shows the normal path and not the UNC path from the substitution.

Beardyname

Are such a "basic" setup expected to work ?

Should it not be S:\Media Storage\movies --> \\San1\insertpathtomovieshere\

Atleast that's how i have done it ^^ but maybe we need someone who actually knows this to confirm or tell me I am an idiot :)

im85288

I think as Beardyname says you need to map the full path for it to work...though I never tried with partial paths. My setup works fine with path substitution, but each full path is mapped to a substitute such as:

UFSUM9d.png

Edited by im85288

Yeah, it may just be that you need to have it defined at least at the share name level as opposed to machine name level.  So try defining them one level down from where you are.  So, instead of "S:\" Try "S:\Media Storage\".

mbnwa

Before trying the simple method thinking I was over complicating it I tried the full UNC path and still did not work and I have tried every variation of the UNC path however Media Browser Classic still just pulls from the S:\ mapping

At this point I am going to just reload the Library with correct UNC paths.

Thanks for the help guys

Edited by mbnwa

• 3 months later...