Server: Show active session summary

morbidsvt

morbidsvt

I'm needing to know when the server is inactive, so I can take the server down to perform upgrades... or even restart for the plugin upgrades.  I can look at the big blocks and see if someone is streaming something, but nothing shows when a download is complete.  I've seen older requests for this, but I didn't want to revive a zombie thread.

So I at least need to know when all downloads are complete, but I don't really need to see all the details.  I think it would be great if there was a section of the dashboard that displayed terse server summaries of current activity.  Like:

Downloads: 2

Direct: 1

Transcoding: 3

etc...

Would something like that be feasible?  Thanks!

• Like 1

morbidsvt

Hi Luke.  I'm envisioning it in the right column, above the Activity section.  So from top down it would have the activity summary, then the activity log.

Direct: 1

Transcoding: 3

What would this information relate to? Playback?

morbidsvt

Yep, for playback.  Differentiating them doesn't really matter... they could be grouped together.  I was just trying to think of a way to make the summary more useful -- more than just displaying how many current downloads there are.

Don't we already have that information in the active sessions?

morbidsvt

Not for downloads.  I was suggesting that in addition to showing current downloads, other streaming items could be summarized there too.  The active session blocks are so large that if there are more than a few, you have to scroll down to see them.  So it would be nice to have all that terse information summarized at the top of the page.

But again, while that information can be found else where on the page, there's no way to tell if there are any active downloads.... only that they started at some point.  I need to know there are no active downloads or streams before I take my server down for maintenance.

darkassassin07

What about something simpler like having the servers current network activity visible on the dashboard? (upload/download mbps). It wouldn't nessesarily tell you what exactly the server is doing, but you could see at a glance its busy uploading something to someone, or just idle.

Just a thought

Edited by darkassassin07

morbidsvt

If Emby can determine its own up/down bandwidth, then that might work.  But if it's just displaying the stats from the server (not just Emby), it wouldn't work for me.

My main issue is that you can clearly see when a stream starts, is streaming, and the streaming ends.  But for downloads, you just see that it started and there are no further indicators of that status.

Edited by morbidsvt

• 8 months later...
morbidsvt

Any chance there's an update if this is feasible or not (showing media download status)?  I know my brother started a download a while ago, but I have no way of knowing if it has completed or not by looking at the Emby dashboard.

Any chance there's an update if this is feasible or not (showing media download status)?  I know my brother started a download a while ago, but I have no way of knowing if it has completed or not by looking at the Emby dashboard.

Hi, what Emby app are they using to download with?